About the role
Shopify is a fast-growing commerce company currently powering over 800,000 stores in more than 175 different countries. Merchants use our software to power their business across multiple sales channels, including web, tablet and mobile storefronts, through social media and marketplaces, and in their brick-and-mortar and pop-up shops.
Shopify continues to expand globally and we want to take our impact to the next level. For this to happen we’re looking for an experienced Accountant to support on all financial and accounting matters for our Sweden subsidiary of Shopify - a publicly traded company - and coordinate with the finance team in Ottawa, Canada.
As the primary go-to support for Shopify in Sweden; representing a startup within the global company, you will have a ton of autonomy with exceptional support from HQ.
Areas of work
- Coordinating payroll and expenses with Deloitte & Shopify’s payroll team in Canada
- Reviewing employee expenses
- Support of Accounts Payable team in Ottawa for invoices tied to our entity process for the subsidiary and proper archiving of those invoices
- Communication with Skatteverket and other governmental agencies
- Support of tax declarations: VAT, MOSS (Until 2020), Payroll taxes, Corporate taxes
- Month-end review for completeness and year-end closing
- Reporting packages to stakeholders; team in Canada and the subsidiaries local CEO Transitioning outsourced work by Deloitte to in-house operations led by you
- Leading the finalization of the annual financial results and the audit of it prior to the Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- Experience working within the field of accounting
- Formal accounting and bookkeeping education covering Swedish tax laws
- Experience with ERP systems such as Fortnox, Netsuite or others
- Experience with reporting taxes and finalizing annual financial results for entities at our size (30-100 employees)
- Highly comfortable in Swedish and English both verbally and written
- The desire to understand the broader business needs and how the financial figures drive it
- Comfortable exploring and finding your way through ambiguous situations and scenarios (examples of this would be great for you to share with us!)
- Organized and structured; you like setting clear agendas and desired outcome for meetings, and you have Skatteverket’s “Important Dates” as your main calendar
Nice to have
- Experience with the SaaS model, or a tech startup, or clients in the space
- Experience with Stripe, Braintree, PayPal from an accounting standpoint
- Experience working with companies in other Nordic countries
- Fortnox (history)
- Google Spreadsheets & Excel
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application, and tell us why you’re the right person for this role! Please address your cover letter to Phil.
Closing date: Monday, August 30 at 9am CEST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.