About the role
We’re looking for backend developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. Shopify is the largest Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better. We ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking hundreds of thousands of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
Want to learn more about a day in the life of a Backend Developer at Shopify? Check out this blog.
Curious to see some of the products you may work on to help shape the future of commerce? Check out the updates and launches we announced at Shopify Unite in June!
Roles in Security
Do you have an interest in security? We have roles for interns on our various security teams. So whether security is your niche, or something you would like to learn more about - let us know on the application page if you would like to be considered!
You're the kind of person who:
- Loves challenging yourself with projects or hacking just for fun
- Is a constant learner
- Has a passion for solving tough problems with code
- Takes ownership of the projects you work on
- Enjoys research and figuring out how pieces of an entire project work
- Takes pride in creating simple solutions to complex problems
- Has a strong commitment to quality
Life at Shopify
Interns at Shopify are fully integrated with their teams and the things you will work on are thoughtfully considered. If your team is working through a tough problem, so are you. If they are travelling to another city, you’ll be joining. There won’t be any latte fetching, there are no “intern projects” and you’ll have access to a wide range of perks based on your individual interests.
Mentorship will be available to you and you’ll join +4000 exceptionally bright people who are serious about personal growth and learning. We build products that support all kinds of entrepreneurs - from the one-product independent business owner to rapidly scaling brands like Kylie Cosmetics. We’re also the platform for those that haven’t taken the first step toward getting started yet, and we try to level the playing field for anyone with a great idea to start and grow their business.
High trust and flexibility have always been a part of our culture, and if you’re expecting to be told exactly what to do, Shopify may not be the place for you. We don’t claim to have all the answers, and that’s why we look for independent thinkers, collaborators, and people hungry to grow alongside their team. Find out more about our past interns' experiences and learn more about how we approach mentorship at Shopify.
Shopify internships are 4 and 8 month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates and those early on in their development careers. The 4-month Winter Internship will run January 6th - April 24th 2020, and the 8-month Winter/Summer Internship will run January 6th - August 28th 2020.
The posting will close Monday, September 23rd at 9:00 AM EST and applications will not be accepted after this date and time. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting in early October.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
In your Application
1. Include your resume.
2. We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. We'd love to learn about your passions and initiatives beyond school requirements. If you'd like to share more about what you're passionate about, please include a personal statement as part of your application. Want to stand out from the copy-and-paste applicants? You can also use the personal statement to tell us about what gets you excited about working in Backend Development at Shopify.
If you have projects or work you want to share, include your GitHub link in your application!
The Hiring Process
1. Candidates that move beyond the initial application stage will be invited to a “Life Story” interview with a Recruiter on the Intern Program team. The intention of the Life Story interview is to construct your own personal timeline, including decisions you’ve made, what you’re passionate about, and the path you’ve taken to bring you to where you are today.
2. After the Life Story, successful candidates will be invited to a 60 minute technical interview with 2 Shopify developers. You will be informed in advance of the interview of what you need to bring. Generally, we ask that candidates bring a project with them they can present to our interviewers, and specifically something that includes code they have written personally (ideally not a group project). In the event that candidates don’t have a project, then we ask that they complete a coding challenge before the technical interview. The second half of the interview is a collaborative problem solving exercise with our developers.
3. After the technical interview, successful candidates are placed on teams based on their interests, skills and experience- each placement is done individually and with significant consideration.
Timelines of decision will be clearly communicated to candidates by their Recruiter throughout the process and you will always hear back from us. #noghosting
**If you are in the University of Waterloo co-op program you must apply through Waterloo Works. If you do not apply through Waterloo Works, it is your responsibility to contact your co-op rep to have this posting added to your profile.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Mobile Developer Intern (Android) - Winter 2020||Internships||Toronto, Canada|
|Production/Infrastructure Engineering Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Design Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto|
|Data Science Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Associate Product Manager Intern||Internships||Toronto, Canada|
|Mobile Developer Intern (iOS) - Winter 2020||Internships||Toronto, Canada|
|UX Developer Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Montreal - Office|
|Web Developer Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|