About the role
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down.
Our Berlin team is looking for a Backend Developer excited to build, grow and scale our greenfield product with us. We need the help of a dedicated, curious and versatile developer with a passion for performance, and simplicity. Does this sound like you?
As a part of our backend development team, you'll not only work on improving the company’s products, but also on increasing the calibre over time. This is a long term vision founded on a number of practices — from encouraging individual ownership and deep learning, to congratulating team members when they’ve done a great job. We want to continue to build a talented team of back end developers who will own their role, work hard to improve themselves and encourage others to do the same.
A few things we want you to have:
- 5+ years of work experience as a Backend Developer
- Strong experience with MVC frameworks (Laravel, Symfony, Rails, Django, etc.)
- Understanding of both relational (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and non relational databases (Elasticsearch, MongoDB)
- Profound understanding of Object Oriented / modular programming
- Knowledge of TDD, SOLID and DDD architectures
- Experience with agile workflows and Git
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to clearly explain complex technical issues to all level team members
- A passion and curiosity to constantly learn new things
- Shopify changes fast, and we need people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Speak fluent English
Relevant experience for the role
- Building and consuming API´s, GraphQL and REST
- Basic knowledge of JS frameworks (Vue2, React, Angular or similar)
- Experience with Cloud Providers (Amazon AWS, GCP)
What’s in it for you:
- You will be a part of our growing international Berlin team of 55 people (over 27 different languages are spoken at the office and we don’t plan to stop there)
- You get to work in a dynamic environment with insanely talented people where new features in large scale products are being shipped regularly
- You will grow your career and competencies working in an environment where learning is paramount and not restricted by budgets or reporting
- We give you the freedom to make your own decisions (we trust our employees and are invested in their success)
- Flexible working hours and a competitive compensation package
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.