About the role
Our Data Scientists come from diverse backgrounds: computer science, business, economics, and physics to name a few! We are solving diverse problems in the business and appreciate diverse perspectives. Our product direction is data driven and we’re all working toward one common goal: make commerce better for everyone.
The Data Science & Engineering team acts as the impact multiplier for Shopify’s product teams, putting over 11 petabytes of retail data to work to make our merchants more successful. You’ll make an impact on delivering merchandising insights, optimizing shipping and processing rates, reducing credit card fraud, ad campaign recommendations, and more!
As someone who thrives in a rapidly changing environment, you will develop a deep understanding of our data, tools, and processes by measuring key metrics, promoting new analytical techniques and questioning assumptions. You love to tell the story behind the numbers, and will clean, model, and analyze a wide variety of data sources.
You’ll be working on things like:
- Building data products and models that power Shopify’s intelligence
- Helping people make well-informed decisions
- Receiving mentorship and infinite opportunities to learn and grow
- Using TDD to write well-tested code
- Contributing to the open source community
You're the kind of person who:
- Loves investigating and solving mysteries
- Is a constant learner
- Enjoys research and figuring out how pieces of an entire project work
- Takes pride in creating simple solutions to complex problems
- Is a strong communicator and enjoys interacting with multiple parts of the business
- Thrives in a fast, dynamic and constantly changing environment
- Has a practical handling of at least one scripting language -- Python is a plus!
Life at Shopify
Interns at Shopify are fully integrated with their teams and the things you will work on are thoughtfully considered. If your team is working through a tough problem, so are you. If they are travelling to another city, you’ll be joining. There won’t be any latte fetching, there are no “intern projects” and you’ll have access to a wide range of perks based on your individual interests.
Mentorship will be available to you and you’ll join +4000 exceptionally bright people who are serious about personal growth and learning. We build products that support all kinds of entrepreneurs - from the one-product independent business owner to rapidly scaling brands like Kylie Cosmetics. We’re also the platform for those that haven’t taken the first step toward getting started yet, and we try to level the playing field for anyone with a great idea to start and grow their business.
High trust and flexibility have always been a part of our culture, and if you’re expecting to be told exactly what to do, Shopify may not be the place for you. We don’t claim to have all the answers, and that’s why we look for independent thinkers, collaborators, and people hungry to grow alongside their team. Find out more about our past interns experiences and learn more about how we approach mentorship at Shopify.
Shopify internships are 4 and 8 month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates and those early on in their development careers. The 4-month Winter Internship will run January 6th- April 24th 2020, and the 8-month Winter/Summer Internship will run January 6th - August 28th 2020.
The posting will close Monday Sept 23rd, 2019 at 9:00 AM EST and applications will not be accepted after this date.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting Sept 23rd, 2019.
In Your Application
1. Include your resume.
2. We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. We'd love to learn about your passions and initiatives beyond school requirements. If you'd like to share more about what you're passionate about, please include a personal statement as part of your application. Want to stand out from the copy-and-paste applicants? You can also use the personal statement to tell us about what gets you excited about working in data science at Shopify.
If you have projects or work you want to share, include your GitHub link below!
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
The Hiring Process
1. Candidates that move beyond the initial application stage will be invited to a “Life Story” interview with a Recruiter on the Intern Program team. The intention of the Life Story interview is to construct your own personal timeline, including decisions you’ve made, what you’re passionate about, and the path you’ve taken to bring you to where you are today.
2. After the Life Story, successful candidates will be invited to a 60 minute technical interview with 2 Shopify data scientists. You will be informed in advance of the interview of what you need to bring. Generally, we ask that candidates bring a project with them they can present to our interviewers. The second half of the interview is a collaborative problem solving exercise.
3. After the technical interview, successful candidates are placed on teams based on their interests, skills and experience. Each placement is done individually and with significant consideration.
*Timelines of decision will be clearly communicated to candidates by their Recruiter throughout the process and you will always hear back from us #noghosting.
**If you are in the University of Waterloo co-op program you must apply through Waterloo Works. If you do not apply through Waterloo Works, it is your responsibility to contact your co-op rep to have this posting added to your profile.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Web Developer Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Production/Infrastructure Engineering Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Mobile Developer Intern (Android) - Winter 2020||Internships||Toronto, Canada|
|Associate Product Manager Intern||Internships||Toronto, Canada|
|UX Developer Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Montreal - Office|
|Backend Developer Intern (also includes roles in Security) - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Mobile Developer Intern (iOS) - Winter 2020||Internships||Toronto, Canada|
|Design Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto|