About the role
At our core, Shopify is about people: merchants, buyers, and employees. Understanding the employee experience is tremendously important to building a company that lasts 100 years. This is where People Analytics comes in. We are the research arm of the Talent organization at Shopify, and the company is our lab. We use data to improve how Shopify attracts, empowers and retains the best talent. As a new discipline, People Analytics is a great opportunity to work on a unique aspect of Data Science where you can blaze your own trail.
The People Analytics team studies all dimensions of the employee experience: engagement, diversity, compensation, performance, retention and talent acquisition. Our insights support Talent (HR) and stakeholders across Shopify when making data-informed decisions. If you are passionate about building an environment where people can do their best work, then this role is for you. It is a great opportunity to positively impact the people you work with, and ultimately the success of Shopify and our merchants.
You will lead a team of Data Scientists that operate at all levels of the data science stack - sharing insights with stakeholders, generating automated reports, analyzing data in Pandas, and developing our cloud data platform. The exposure to a wide variety of technologies keeps the work super interesting and very challenging.
We are looking for somebody with:
- Technical leadership and/or management experience (you'll enjoy doing both). You can jump into the code to the level that your direct reports admire and respect, but are also interested in developing people and capacity for your team.
- Experience with regression, econometrics and/or causal inference (we primarily work on small data problems)
- Experience using Python for data analysis, pipelines and modelling
- Extensive experience analyzing data with SQL
- The ability to couple subject matter expertise with strong statistical skills
- Great interpersonal skills, especially when communicating with non-technical teams
- Familiarity with analytics platforms like Mode, Tableau or Matplotlib
It would be great if you have:
- Exposure to people-related data
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with survey design and/or qualitative research
- Experience working with HR information systems such as Workday or Lever
- A profound love of GitHub
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. Make sure to tell us how you think you can make an impact at Shopify, and what drew you to the role.
Closing date: March 6th at 5pm EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Data Science Manager - Risk Algorithms||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|