About the role
Understanding a merchant’s future potential is critical to Shopify’s unfolding vision. Traditional commerce systems focus on risk, but Shopify cares about the full spectrum of value. The Risk team at Shopify is responsible for building scalable systems that detect and prevent fraud for our merchants and their customers. They build automated systems that scale machine learning models to analyze customer behaviour, incoming orders, and financial transactions. Most importantly, they deliver meaningful and impactful data solutions that help our merchants everyday. These include:
Developing and implementing algorithms that power Shopify Capital, which offers cash advances to eligible merchants. As a result, Shopify has issued over $500 million in funding (and counting)!
Merchants work hard for each sale. Imagine the disappointment and discouragement they feel when they learn that a sale from months ago was made with a stolen credit card, resulting in losing both the money and the goods from this order. The Risk Algorithms team is at the forefront of fighting against credit-card fraud. In short, they help ensure that well earned money stays with merchants.
We’re looking for someone to manage a team of Data Scientists that are developing near-real time fraud detection models based on petabytes of high quality data.
You will need to have experience with:
- Technical leadership and/or management experience (you'll enjoy doing both). You can jump into the code to the level that your direct reports admire and respect, but are also interested in developing people and capacity for your team
- Experience creating data product strategies, shipping data products, iterating after launch, and trying again
- Extensive experience using Python including a strong grasp of object oriented programming (OOP) fundamentals
- Strong ability to prioritize and communicate to technical and non-technical audiences alike
That would be great if you have:
- Previous experience using Spark
- Experience with statistical methods like regression, GLMs or experiment design and analysis
- Exposure to Tableau, QlikView, Mode, Matplotlib, or similar data visualization tools
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. Make sure to tell us how you think you can make an impact at Shopify, and what drew you to the role.
Closing date: March 6th at 5pm EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Data Science Manager - People Analytics||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|