About the role
Design at Shopify
Our design team is made up of over 400 designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers across 4 Canadian cities. Although everyone at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, the design team has a special role in building an understanding and empathy for entrepreneurs.
These entrepreneurs rely on Shopify to provide them with the tools they need to run their business. Creating beautiful products includes identifying the right problems, performing research, prototyping solutions, and shipping features (sometimes all in the same week). The Shopify design internship program is an opportunity to take ownership over projects and to collaborate with other creatives, UX researchers and engineers, on a multi-disciplinary team. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving our employees the room to experiment and grow.
Our Shopify design team creates tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, we design solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. Making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their level of experience, is Shopify’s passion, and one of our designers main objectives.
We welcome design interns from all backgrounds, whether you’re a student leveling up or a professional transitioning from another industry. A portfolio is considered a great asset, but not a requirement for the internship.
As a Design Intern at Shopify, you will:
- Be an active part of every stage of the design process to improve our merchants’ experience: from idea to research, building, shipping, and launch. This includes participating in design sprints to define and explore merchant problems.
- Help your team develop empathy for our merchants and advocate for our merchants’ needs. Data will be just one of the many tools you will use to help inform your work.
- Be paired with a dedicated mentor and a team of highly skilled designers who are committed to supporting your success and growing your skills through consistent feedback
- Collaborate with different disciplines. You’ll get the chance to work closely with engineers, product managers, and front-end developers to help explore, build, and ship your designs.
- Learn how to approach complex problems and design elegant solutions
- Improve how you communicate the design challenges and opportunities you encounter
You’re the kind of person who has:
- The desire to grow -- you'll have the opportunity to dive into new and uncomfortable challenges
- The ability to clearly present your point of view, express ideas, and accept feedback
- A passion for unpacking and solving complex problems
- A unique interest for the end user - advocating for them in all areas of your work is core to what you do
- A desire to improve on iterative design practices
- Proficiency with Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator or Figma
We will be accepting applications until September 23rd at 9:00am EST. Applications will not be accepted after this date and time. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis in the weeks following.
Help us learn more about you! Please complete ALL of the following tasks. Answer fields are provided on the application page:
Let us know what you’re passionate about and what makes you excited about working at Shopify as a Design intern
We’d like to see an example of your previous design work. This can be a project completed at school, at work, or as a personal project, anything that you were responsible for and that you can speak about confidently. Wrap up your project in a ZIP file labelled FirstnameLastname.zip (using your name, of course!) and include it with your application. We ask that you not include anything inside your submission that would personally identify you (name, photo, etc), as we screen these projects anonymously. (If you are new to the field or do not have a project to share, feel free to use this project idea to design a submission.)
Please provide a maximum 1 page write-up about your project including the information below. You can include this separately, or alongside the design work. (Please don’t include any personally identifying information here either)
1. The problem: Tell us about the problem you’re solving. How did you learn more about the problem space? Were there constraints and what were they?
2. Your process: What was your approach in solving the problem? If this was a group effort, what role did you play? Did your project go through multiple iterations? Tell us about it!
3. Your solution: Describe your solution. How would you validate that your solution solves the problem?
4. Reflection: What was challenging about solving this problem? What did you learn while solving this problem? Is there anything in this project you’d like to get feedback on? If you had more time, or were doing this a second time, what would you do differently?
Life at Shopify
Interns at Shopify are fully integrated with their teams and the things you will work on are thoughtfully considered. If your team is working through a tough problem, so are you. If they are travelling to another city, you’ll be joining. There won’t be any latte fetching, there are no “intern projects” and you’ll have access to a wide range of perks based on your individual interests.
Mentorship will be available to you and you’ll join +4000 exceptionally bright people who are serious about personal growth and learning. We build products that support all kinds of entrepreneurs - from the one-product independent business owner to rapidly scaling brands like Kylie Cosmetics. We’re also the platform for those that haven’t taken the first step toward getting started yet, and we try to level the playing field for anyone with a great idea to start and grow their business.
High trust and flexibility have always been a part of our culture, and if you’re expecting to be told exactly what to do, Shopify may not be the place for you. We don’t claim to have all the answers, and that’s why we look for independent thinkers, collaborators, and people hungry to grow alongside their team. Find out more about our past interns experiences and learn more about how we approach mentorship at Shopify.
Shopify internships are 4 and 8 month paid terms, the 4-month Winter Internship will run January 6th- April 24th 2020, and the 8-month Winter/Summer Internship will run January 6th- August 28th 2020.
Our Internships are open to anyone starting off or early in their design career; including students, co-ops, recent graduates or those making a career change. We know that experience comes in many forms; many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying! We know that diversity of thought makes for great problem-solving and creative thinking, and diversity of experience allows us to see the world from new viewpoints, which is why we're dedicated to adding a diverse range of new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
If you are in the University of Waterloo co-op program you must apply through Waterloo Works. If you do not apply through Waterloo Works, it is your responsibility to contact your co-op rep to have this posting added to your profile.
|Associate Product Manager Intern||Internships||Ottawa, Canada|
|Mobile Developer Intern (iOS) - Winter 2020||Internships||Toronto, Canada|
|Backend Developer Intern (also includes roles in Security) - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Data Science Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Web Developer Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Production/Infrastructure Engineering Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|UX Developer Intern - Winter 2020||Internships||Montreal - Office|
|Mobile Developer Intern (Android) - Winter 2020||Internships||Toronto, Canada|
|Associate Product Manager Intern||Internships||Toronto, Canada|