About the role
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
At Shopify, we recognize that after our people, our most important asset is our data. With over 10+ years of aggregate commerce data, we are driven by the potential insights that our data can provide. Our 1,000,000+ merchants depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their business. The next phase of our data strategy will involve extreme growth in terms of scale and application, with the goal of making better business and product decisions.
With Shop, we have set out to reimagine the online shopping experience. From personalized recommendations to live order tracking, Shop offers visibility, personalized experiences, and peace of mind in one convenient place. By looking at the common pain points in the customer’s shopping journey today and developing specific features like local business discovery, Shop will help both our merchants and their customers develop more meaningful relationships and connections along the way.
As the Director of Data Science, you will work with the Shop leadership team to drive data-informed strategies to elevate our buyer facing products & experiences. Leading a team of world class Data Scientists, you will create strong data infrastructure to measure business performance, conduct analyses to generate meaningful insights about consumer behavior, apply experimentation to drive measurement, and build data products to optimize the product experience.
Some of the Data Science & Engineering team members you’ll work with:
Shopify Shop team members you’ll work closely with:
- Define and guide the short-term and long-term data strategy for the Shop product line.
- Partner with other functional teams such as Engineering, Product, & Design to identify unsolved user and business needs resulting in data powered solutions that scale.
- Provide technical leadership to our data science teams and lead them as they analyze data, implement statistical techniques, create data visualisations, and build data pipelines (using Python, Spark, SQL, Mode, Tableau...etc).
- Cultivate a data-informed culture and deliver meaningful insights that drive product roadmaps and optimize business strategies.
- Drive excellent practices for establishing metrics & KPIs to drive cross-functional alignment.
- Collaborate with peer leaders in the product line Data Science team (and the broader Data org) to improve and drive the group-wide Data Science & Engineering vision.
- Team development - Extensive experience around building and pruning teams from the ground up. You’ll have a demonstrated track record of attracting top data/analytics talent, developing high-performance teams, and a knack for keeping top talent happy, challenged, and impactful.
- Product mindset - You have a product gene that enables you to get to the root of problems faced by customers and users and to create data solutions and products to solve these challenges.
- Analytics expertise - You’ll need to be amazing at coming up with new and meaningful metrics to measure the success of Shop products. You’ll be equally strong at making sure the data needed to support these metrics is consistent and available.
- Well-balanced skills - People have trouble pinning you down. Both business and technical teams claim you as their own. You are equal parts technical and functional (and both are exceptionally strong), and you are equally comfortable and effective at presenting to technical or business leaders.
- Passionate about business strategy - You’ve experienced and thrived in similar channel-related environments and have a knack for working with business users that are responsible for top-line growth.
- Experience at scale - You’ve been a leader in multiple tech companies where analytics on top of massive data sets drives product and business decisions.
- Great communicator - You’re an exceptional communicator capable of telling the story behind the data and its resulting insights to small and large audiences, including technical and non-technical groups.
It'd be great if you have experience with (but not a must!)
- Cloud platforms: Google Cloud Platform (GCP), AWS
- Large-scale data-platform tools
- Data Storage and Access: HDFS, Presto
- Data processing/integration: Kafka, SparkAnalytics
- Datastores: AWS Redshift, GCP BigQuery
- Visualization: D3, Mode Analytics, Tableau
- Programming languages: Python, Scala
- SQL and debugging SQL queries
- Analytical techniques
- Background in machine learning including experience implementing models at scale
- Experimentation: A/B test design and analysis, natural & quasi-natural experiments
- Search and Discovery algorithms
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community today by visiting www.talent-community.myshopify.com
Not what you’re looking for? Check out these similar roles.
|Senior Data Scientist, International Growth||Data Science and Engineering||EMEA, Europe|
|Senior Data Scientist, Shop||Data Science and Engineering||EMEA, Europe|
|Support Advisor - Fluent in German (Remote, Ireland)||Customer Support||EMEA, Europe|
|Support Advisor - Fluent in Swedish (Remote, Ireland)||Customer Support||EMEA, Europe|
|Full-stack Software Developer (Remote, Europe)||Engineering and Development||EMEA, Europe|
|QA Engineer (Remote, Europe)||Engineering and Development||EMEA, Europe|
|Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Remote)||Engineering and Development||EMEA, Europe|