About the role
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform with no plans to slow down. We are setting sail into uncharted waters, and we’re looking for a Director of Engineering to lead and grow our Stockholm development team.
You will join Shopify at a pivotal moment in our 100 year journey to make commerce better for everyone. As a Director of Engineering, you will help take our developers to the next level in their craft with your mentoring, coaching, and experience scaling teams sustainably. You’ll help take the new product to the next level in performance by knowing how to get the best out of team, influencing and collaborating with stakeholders across the organization, and enhancing and building processes and technical strategies to reach our ambitious goals.
This is your opportunity to make a massive impact on current and future employees, and Shopify users worldwide.
Requirements & Responsibilities
- People and technical leadership. You are a hands-on leader. You have been managing managers and individual contributors for a number of years and you’re pretty good at it. You have some tried and true techniques for levelling up your team, removing obstacles, mentoring, and getting them to open up about challenges. You’ve been managing multiple product teams and are able to see the product holistically and encourage cross-team collaboration.
- Creativity and flexibility. Problem-solving is more than a catch phrase for you. You approach new and novel challenges wondering how to make it work rather than how to shut it down, and seek multiple opinions and approaches when tackling difficult problems.
- Relationship building. You are able to develop trust in relationships quickly with stakeholders across a business through your empathy and resourcefulness. You are known as a partner, rather than a blocker.
- Building and growing teams. When it comes to growing a team, you have had experience partnering with the HR (we call it Talent) team in finding potential candidates, interviewing them, and onboarding technical talent to the team.
- Technical expertise at scale. You’ve dived deep in a technical area in the past and understand engineering as a discipline inside and out. Your code might be a bit rusty at the moment but at one point in your career you were a great developer and you still know what questions are relevant to ask and what type of answers to expect.
- Consumer care. You are particularly motivated by the concerns of both the teams you partner with in the company, and the customers who use our product.
- Communication. You have clear, concise communication both verbal and written. You are comfortable working in an English speaking office and know the importance of communication, especially within a large organization and across timezones.
It would be nice if you have:
- Knowledge and execution experience in a management role for consumer facing mobile products
Technologies we use:
- Ruby, Go, Python, React Native for base components, performant critical components, data functions, and mobile apps respectively
- MySQL, Redis, Memcache, and Kafka for data storage and event queues. We run everything in Kubernetes clusters on Google Cloud Platform
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Danée is a real person ( 👋) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application.
This posting will close on October 11th, 2019 at 9:30AM EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.