About the role
At Shopify, we want to make commerce better for everyone, everywhere. Countries differ in many ways in terms of language, culture, and how people engage with commerce. We want to embrace these differences and make Shopify the right platform for all merchants, no matter where they are on the planet.
Shopify is a Canadian company focussed on reducing the barriers of entry to entrepreneurship and scaling success by offering commerce solutions to small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as major brands like Budweiser, Nestle, Tesla and Kylie Cosmetics. In 2018 the International Growth team launched its mission to better support merchants in Europe by experimenting with different approaches in France and Germany. We are ready to iterate and build upon these learnings, as we create the best platform for entrepreneurs within this region, and worldwide.
Our Berlin office will focus on domestic merchants within Europe, and related functionalities and features. As the Lead Software Developer, your role will be to build and guide a team of developers, identify market opportunities, and consider important repercussions on how the International software engineering team builds and implements new projects and features. Part of your responsibilities will be to make sure we do this in a collaborative, efficient and sustainable way.
Requirements for the Role:
- Experience leading and guiding technical teams, keeping them focused and on task, while also collaborating and actively engaged in programming
- A genuine interest in European ecommerce market, cultural nuances and/or product localization.
- A generalist rather than a specialist - you're excited by experimentation and unblocking anything that stands in the way of success
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails, or the desire to learn quickly
Projects you can work on:
- Local payment integrations, such as Klarna and Cash on Delivery
- Translation platform, an in-house set of tools to help developers request and manage translations in a transparent, non-intrusive way
- Compliance with international laws, such as GDPR and ePrivacy Regulation
- Leading, mentoring and coaching our developers to level them up in their craft
- Identifying opportunities and expand our product offerings in key markets
- Engaging with teams across Shopify and external partners to ensure all new features are built with our international markets in mind
- Focusing on building for the long term, in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible
- Giving back to the community by open-sourcing some key components
The tools you will use include:
- MySQL, Splunk, Datadog, Mode
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.