About the role
Shopify is an e-commerce platform with the mission to make commerce better for everyone. Shopify powers over 800,000 merchants around the world, and we’re just getting started. The International team is a segment within Shopify, with the mission to make commerce better for everyone...everywhere!
Making Shopify better for merchants around the world brings deeply interesting UX challenges across language, behaviours, currency & trade, and ultimately, culture. We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
About the role:
As Head of UX Research on the International team, you have a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants around the world. You will help us build real connections with merchants globally, and bring these insights into product teams across Shopify. You will work with a multidisciplinary UX team of product designers, content strategists, user researchers, and front-end developers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants around the world.
The UX Research team guides and informs the company towards designing and building better products and experiences for people using a variety of research methods. Researchers work with teams to incorporate people-centric thinking from problem definition to post-launch iteration. We ask thoughtful research questions, conduct contextual research, frame problems, synthesize insights, evaluate concepts or prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
In addition to informing product, UX, and throughout projects, we also work on broader internal initiatives to cultivate international merchant empathy throughout Shopify (e.g. remote merchant tours of Shopify stores, merchant Q&A panels).
You’ll be working on:
- Ensuring our platform considers the full range of international merchant needs across language, culture, and local commerce behaviours. While we may share the platform, merchant needs vary greatly around the world.
- Building a scalable approach to global merchant research, across countries, languages, and cultures, and making this accessible to teams at Shopify.
- Working with the team to enable the UX Research practice at Shopify to confidently incorporate an international perspective into their work.
- Collaborating closely with various leads (Product, Design, Culture, Data, etc.) to make better decisions around culture, collaboration, tools, and product roadmaps.
- Getting the insight for our team to building new products around international requirements, to serve merchants in new ways on the Shopify platform. We know that language, payments, & shipping products can function fundamentally different around the world - we need you to help us consider the breadth and depth of these challenges and provide simple, scalable experiences.
- Working with other teams at Shopify to build a deep understanding and consideration of merchant needs around the world.
- Shaping how our product teams, including UX, engineering and product management collaborate to produce a world-class offering. The International team is still in the fundamental forming and storming stages as a product team. We’re building to the needs of our merchants while hardening our institutional knowledge.
- Relationship building with UX leadership across Shopify. While we have the freedom to define our own process, it’s essential to be a partner, advocate and challenger at the leadership table to best support the needs of the International merchants.
You'll need to have:
- Experience building out an international research program, in a product development or service design context. Hands-on experience scoping and prioritizing research questions, research planning, data gathering, analysis, summarizing, and sharing findings.
- Examples of projects where your research insights led to better informed design decisions (e.g. to guide product roadmaps, strategy decisions).Experience applying a range of research methods.
- Familiarity with combining qualitative and quantitative data.
- Examples of how you influenced teams or companies to become more people-centred.
- Proven ability to build relationships between disciplines and cultivate collaboration.
It's a bonus if you have:
- Experience with field research especially in a country where you do not speak the language.
- Spoken at conferences or written about research, UX, design, or strategy.
- Experience starting your own business.
- Skills, hobbies, or experience that have given you a unique perspective on UX research.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Chris is looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.