About the role
Shopify internships are 4 and 8 month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates and those early on in their development careers. The 4-month Fall Internship will run September 4th to December 21st 2018, and the 8-month Fall/Winter Internship will run September 4th, 2018 to April 26, 2019.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting early May. We are accepting applications until Monday July 23rd @ 9:00 AM EST.
Who are we?
Shopify is the leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform. Merchants can use the software to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify currently powers over 600,000 businesses in approximately 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Red Bull, Nestle, Rebecca Minkoff, Kylie Cosmetics, and many more.
We’ve found that the commerce scene is moving to mobile from the customer side, and our prediction is that owning a computer will be a novelty; needing one will be a deal breaker. Our existing merchants expect to do more from their smartphones, but our addressable market of entrepreneurs is moving to a lifestyle of phone only, with no desktops/laptops.
'This isn’t an accessory to the web admin, this is starting, building and running a multi-channel Shopify business that appeals to our entrepreneurs, professionals and high volume merchants. This is all about the capabilities of today’s and tomorrow’s Shopify, which includes the ability to sell on new channels with the tap of a button. This team maintains the Shopify Mobile product, including its core functionality, visual and architectural components, new merchant experience, app releases and product strategy. You can learn more about what our teams are up to on our Eng blog!
Life at Shopify
Being an intern at Shopify means you get to be impactful, and build for the long term. You’ll get to work alongside full time devs, deploying to master on real projects and features that will directly affect our merchants. Find out what past interns have had to say here. For more stories from Inside Shopify, check out our blog.
Schooling and years of experience are not a requirement here at Shopify. We feel that the best way to learn is not always in the typical classroom, but through practical experience, hard work, and passion.
As an iOS Mobile Developer Intern you’ll be working on things like:
- Writing beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Receiving mentorship and infinite opportunities to learn and grow
- Collaborating with other designers and developers
- Using Swift to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Contributing to the open source community
You’re the kind of person who:
- Loves challenging yourself with projects or hacking just for fun
- Is a constant learner
- Has a passion for solving tough problems with code
- Takes ownership of the projects you work on
- Enjoys research and figuring out how pieces of an entire project work
- Takes pride in creating simple solutions to code complex problems
- Has a strong commitment to quality
In your application
We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. We'd love to learn about your passions and initiatives beyond school requirements in your cover letter. You can address it to Reilly Derkitt.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Before hitting "Apply"
Help us learn more about you! Please complete ALL of the following tasks. Answer fields are provided on application page:
1. Learn more about the product you could be helping to build! Create a free trial Shopify store to get familiar with the platform.
2. We have mobile developer internship roles on many different teams across the company! To give us a good idea about the types of problems you like to solve, and to help us figure out where you can make the greatest impact this fall, please complete the iOS Mobile Developer Challenge.
3. Please attach a cover letter addressed to Reilly Derkitt.
|Social Media Marketing Intern - Fall 2018||Internships||Toronto, Canada|
|Digital Marketing Intern - Fall 2018||Internships||Ottawa, Canada|
|HR Benefits Intern - Fall 2018||Internships||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Content Marketing Intern - Fall 2018||Internships||Ottawa, Canada|