About the role
Shopify’s goal is to make commerce better for everyone, everywhere. A key part of that is serving our international merchant community. We’re looking for an experienced Simplified Chinese Language Owner who will join our International Team to help manage the translation and localization of Shopify’s product content into Simplified Chinese, mainly for the Chinese market.
You’ll be a strategic partner to our product, in-country, marketing, and support teams and help maintain and scale our Simplified Chinese localization efforts.
You’re a seasoned translation and localization professional who can help us drive growth and merchant success by localizing our product and website into Simplified Chinese across Shopify. You’ll arrive at Shopify with a collaborative spirit and you’ll make your mark by stewarding our company’s voice in Simplified Chinese and improving how we attract and support merchants in Chinese-speaking markets.
Please note: this is a 6-month contractor position, which will be based in Shenzhen.
Skills you’ll need:
- Chinese mother tongue, a great command of English.
- 3+ years of professional translation and localization experience, ideally with software localization, or translation/localization experience for technology companies.
- Proven experience translating, transcreating, copywriting, localizing and reviewing content that transfers the original intent and meaning of the source material without coming across as a translation.
- Strong understanding of the specific requirements of interface content and of the role language plays in the UX design process.
- BA/BS or equivalent university/college degree preferred but not required. Translation, Linguistics, Interpretation, similar field of study or proven translation/localization experience. MA preferred but not required.
- An obsession with understanding our merchants who use our product in Simplified Chinese and their world.
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to explain linguistic challenges, cultural questions and concepts to diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to stay focused under pressure. Prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with localization platforms, Translation Management Systems, CAT tools and file formats that manage and/or automate the translation workflow.
- Deep understanding of all Chinese-speaking countries as to how they differ culturally and linguistically.
- Basic understanding of SEO is preferred but not mandatory.
- Boundless enthusiasm, appetite for learning and the ability to manage projects, expectations, and your own time.
What you’ll work on:
- Language Quality. 1. Act as the center of excellence for language quality, voice, style and brand internationalization in the target language - Coordinate the creation and maintenance of linguistic assets (term bases, style guides, translation memories, reference material) for the language/market of expertise. 2. Conduct quality assurance for all localized content and product to ensure consistent messaging and proper functionality.
- UX. Work with the UX team to ensure high quality user experience for their language.
- Relationship Building. Develop and maintain key relationships with both external and internal vendors
- Vendor Management. 1. Answer weekly queries from vendors. 2. Monitor translation feedback from merchants, partners and internal employees.
- Review third-party app descriptions and in-app translations.
- Review any future localized product help video assets (localized Help YouTube videos, etc).
- Product content support for Domestic Country Fit/Export Country Fit teams when designing, testing and shipping features specific to their market in the target language.
- Linguistic support for the rest of the PL when conducting user research in the target language.
- New product projects as they arise, such as localizing new areas of the product, etc.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application!