About the role
Shopify is the longest continuously developed Rails app on the planet. Many core Rails features were actually developed at Shopify, and we’re constantly improving our codebase to make it better or leaner. We ship on quality instead of time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. Hundreds of thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
In San Francisco, we’re building conversational tools to help our Shopify merchants grow their business and succeed on Shopify. Growing a customer-base from scratch is hard, so we’re creating multiple products to help merchants get more done with less time. Join us as we build conversational interfaces to power autonomous labor.
Relevant experience for the role:
- Technical leadership and/or management experience
- A commitment and drive for quality, excellence, and results
- A passion for helping growing development teams and making others better
- Proficiency with UNIX commands
- Experience with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Experience building and scaling user-focused web applications
- Experience with Rails (BONUS)
Some of the projects our team works on:
- Kit - a virtual employee to help Shopify entrepreneurs market their products
- Ping - a place where merchants can message customers and Kit through a variety of mediums
- IQ - AI powered marketing recommendations utilizing the collective knowledge of Shopify merchants
You'll be working on things like:
- Writing back-end code in Ruby and possibly Go
- Learning and growing constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Providing beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using TDD to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Tess is looking forward to reading your application.