About the role
At Shopify, Lead Production Engineers (also referred to as Staff Engineers) use their expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. As a technical leader, you’ll help drive your team’s vision to its implementation. You and the team will design and build technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shopify to build powerful and resilient distributed cloud software. Merchants that depend on Shopify for a highly scalable, performant, and reliable platform benefit directly from the work you do. You will maintain a high bar for quality and lead and mentor other engineers. And of course, you’ll be hands-on in the code and contribute technically.
As an experienced infrastructure technical leader, we need your help to both start new teams and expand and grow the technology of our existing teams. There are multiple positions available on a variety of teams and we will work with you as part of the interview process to identify which team best fits your interests, needs and experience.
Here is a sampling of some of the teams, systems and projects to which you could contribute:
- Build routing infrastructure to facilitate resilient and performant North-South and East-West communication
- Expand the reach of our search systems to standardize the way we index documents in different languages and in various locations around the world
- Scale a team looking at solving issues with shopping cart access, configuration plane information and package tracking data using a globally accessible, high write key/value store
- Grow the capacity of our worldwide distributed site reliability engineering teams, consulting with other engineering groups on how to build low latency, highly resilient systems
- Take our observability systems to the next level, expanding and evangelizing the usage of tracing, metrics and structured logging across the company
- Work on expanding our highly scalable and configurable job system to support all of the applications on the platform
- Keep our databases operating optimally using proxies, load shedding, custom routing layers and application transparent sharding
- Build manipulation primitives such as combination and filtering into our streaming infrastructure to allow teams to translate existing data streams into specific business problems
Experience and skills that are important for success in these role:
- Experience with service discovery and service communication
- A proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must
- Deep experience building large scale, high throughput distributed systems and scaling web services, particularly those using and analyzing large amounts of data
- The ability to write high quality code in a high level programming language (e.g. Go, Ruby, Java)
- Experience with Site Reliability engineering/ DevOps practices.
- Experience leading the architecture and automation of infrastructure within a cloud environment.
- Experience deploying and monitoring a production system at scale in a cloud native environment.
- A track record of being a self-starter and a team player keen on mentoring others and growing your own skill set within a fast paced environment.
- Experience working on a remote or distributed engineering team.
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Building services and deploying them on top of Kubernetes and/or Google Cloud Platform
- Participating in an on call rotation and/or site reliability engineering (SRE) experience
We offer you:
- An opportunity to have massive impact. Our scale means you will have the opportunity to have an impact on commerce across the globe.
- A group of exceptionally talented and dedicated peers with which to collaborate.
- Growth and leadership. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help on both sides of the equation.
- A constant stream of new things to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects, contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Tasha is an actual real live person (👋🏼) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.