About the role
About UX Design at Shopify
The UX design team creates tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, we design solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. Making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their level of experience, is our passion. It’s what we come to work every morning excited to tackle.
Our team is made up of over 300 designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers across 5 offices. Although everyone at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, the design team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
As a product designer at Shopify you’ll:
- Improve the merchant experience. This includes participating in and running design sprints to define and explore merchant problems. You’ll help your team develop empathy for our merchants and advocate for our merchants’ needs. Data will be just one of the many tools you will use to help inform your work.
- Collaborate with different disciplines. You’ll work closely with engineers, product managers, and front-end developers to explore, build, and ship your designs. You’ll help other disciplines understand the value design can bring to a project and ultimately build and ship the best products.
- Make your team stronger. You’ll provide feedback to your peers to help strengthen your team and Shopify as a whole. You’ll help your teammates build context, strong decision making skills, and empathy for our merchants.
- Ship valuable and high-quality work without sacrificing speed.
Skills and experience:
- Passion for solving product problems while balancing all facets of a user experience (strategy and research, information architecture, interaction design) and collaborating closely with multiple disciplines including product, engineering, content, and research.
- A passion for problem solving
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative design process including how to develop and use design research, job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wire-framing, prototyping, user testing, and high-fidelity visuals to achieve human-centred design solutions
- A deep empathy for the user, and tools to help others develop this empathy as well
- Proficiency with current industry design and collaboration tools such as Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, Github, etc.
Teams we’re hiring for:
- Shipping: What is the future of logistics? How can Shopify deliver the best merchant and consumer post point of sale experience on the planet? It’s a critical, but often overlooked, part of the merchant and buyer experience and our dev teams are working hard to build out a best-in-class solution.
- Financial Solutions: Managing money can be one of the most stressful parts of running a business. Shopify creates simple financial solutions that help merchants accept payments and capital, avoid fraud, and pay their bills. We take the worry and confusion out of finances, so entrepreneurs around the world can focus on growing their business.
- International Growth: We have over 800,000 merchants on the Shopify platform at the moment, mostly in North America. This team is tackling the million challenges that come from creating localized versions of our platform, and that means a heck of a lot more than just translations.
- Core: Building the Foundations of everything Shopify does. These teams make both the platform, and our teams work better, faster, stronger.
- Channels: Shopify Channels was designed to give merchants one unified platform to do it all. The teams in this Product Line helps entrepreneurs grow their businesses by creating experiences that feel empowering and delightful across numerous online and offline channels.
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the APPLY FOR THIS JOB button to submit your application. Send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.