About the role
Commerce is changing at an incredible rate. It happens seamlessly between the online and offline worlds. Consumers now expect to be able to buy anywhere, receive products quickly, and return them effortlessly. The buyer experience is personalized, authentic, and on-demand. It’s an incredibly exciting time for this industry, and Shopify is right at the centre of it. Shopify is on a mission to make commerce better for everyone
As our newest technical product manager you’ll be a crucial part of that change. As the Product Manager, you will help define the strategy, drive requirements, and deliver products that power data science and data modelling across all of Shopify. You will work closely with world-class Engineering teams, Product Managers, and Data Scientists. In this opportunity, you will help define the course of data at Shopify.
Having excellent communication and collaboration skills, excellent technical and analytical understanding, product management expertise, good judgment, and deep background in developing, deploying or launching data systems, models, and products will allow you to thrive in this role
What You’ll Do
- Communicate with development teams about technical details, understand the implications of certain decisions, and make trade-offs in terms of complexity, depth, and timelines. Participate in conversations when engineers are debating the best way to implement a solution and help your teams more accurately estimate the size of work.
- Work with Data Scientists, Developers, and other stakeholders/customers to understand their work, their objectives, and their impact on helping the organization achieve their goals.
- Drive product management activities, including: requirements gathering, prioritization, roadmap and strategy planning, product roll-out, product workshops, and championing product adoption across Shopify
- Create and iterate upon the product roadmap and technical product requirements
- Be able to seamlessly distill very technical concepts to business users and vice versa
- Prioritize and plan features based on company, and stakeholder, priorities and business values.
- Attain internal product-market fit, and widespread product adoption, among data scientists at Shopify
What Experience You Should Have
- Experience working as a Product Manager, or a Technical Leadership role in Analytics or Data Engineering
- Experience shipping products from ideation to launch with clear success metrics to external or internal customers
- Manage the expectations of internal, and external, customers by effectively prioritizing, and communicating, your product requirements and vision.
- Understand and provide inputs for the trade-offs in launching a product or feature. Collaborate with stakeholders to resolve deadlocks, present feasible options and drive agreement towards a solution. Evangelize your product and be able to effectively drive its adoption across the organization
- Ability to understand technical specifications and architectural design docs
- Prior software development experience is key, so that you can facilitate technical product discussion and provide feedback to the technical and architectural design
- Experience in setting data-driven goals, with objective success metrics, for your projects that you can rally your team behind.
- Familiarity with new and upcoming data technologies - including HDFS, Hive, Kafka, Spark, Presto, Docker, Kubernetes, data warehousing solutions, and in-memory databases
If this sounds like you please apply!
Closing date: Jan 30th, 2020 at 5pm EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.