About the role
Shopify has been hard at work building and scaling its data pipeline. We produce billions of events every day, and we want to be able to do more with it. We use Kafka to act as the plumbing for our blazing-fast, scalable, and reliable publish-subscribe messaging system. It is used to power systems like our Elasticsearch multi-datacenter replication technology, merchant facing reports as well as our entire logging and analytics pipelines. We’re looking for a Kafka Engineer who can help the team become more productive by building more automation and better internal tooling for Kafka. Ideally you’re a junior engineer that we can help grow into the role, but we won’t turn you away if you have a lot of experience and are a great fit.
Just a quick note: there is an on-call component to this position. We fix things right when they break, even if it means doing it in our jammies.
You'll need to have:
- Interest or experience in distributed data stores (not necessarily Kafka)
- Software Development / Programming skills. We work with Ruby and Go
It'd be great if you have experience with:
- Kafka, Logstash, or other message-passing systems
- JVM-based software
- Kubernetes, Amazon EC2, or Google Cloud Platform
- Docker or LXC containers
You’ll be working on things like:
- Evolving our Kafka infrastructure into a product that delights our internal customers
- Working with the engineering team to build and scale distributed, multi-datacenter systems
- Investigating production issues
- Acting as the the go-to expert for engineers who have questions about the Kafka infrastructure
- Automating common operations on the infrastructure
- Building data-pipeline monitoring tools for tracking availability, data completeness, etc.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jason is looking forward to reading your application.
|Production Engineering Lead - Search Infrastructure||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Senior Front End Developer, Shopify Plus||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Director of Datastores||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Senior Front End Developer (Marketing), Shopify Plus||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Senior Software Developer, Shopify Plus||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Technical Developer Lead, Shopify Plus||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Developer Tools Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -4 to UTC -8 time|
|Software Developer Lead - International Growth||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Production Engineering - Scalability and Reliability||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|