About the role
About the role
Are you looking for an opportunity to work on planet-scale infrastructure? Do you want your work to impact thousands of developers and millions of customers? Are you all about performance and able to navigate different layers of the stack with ease? Our Production Engineering team is looking for someone just like you.
Our team is currently building the next generation of the platform that powers the stores of our 800,000+ merchants, and our goal is to make it blazingly fast. 🔥
On our team, you’ll get to work at all levels of the stack with one goal in mind: speed. Not sure what interests you most? Here are some of the things you could work on:
- Collaborate with other Shopify developers to work on one or more of our server-side applications.
- Write compiled extensions to optimize hot paths using bare-metal languages such as C or Rust.
- Work on our caching infrastructure and speed-up response times for complex rendering scenarios.
- Improve our data layer to maximize data fetching over one or many of our datastores.
- Write Nginx modules to orchestrate and optimize traffic between our different applications.
- And plenty more!
We also understand the importance of sharing our work back to the developer community:
- Architecture to handle 80K RPS Celebrity Sales (Learn more about this on our engineering blog)
- Bootsnap: Optimizing ruby app boot time
- Liquid: our templating engine
- Ghostferry: an open source cross cloud, multipurpose database migration tool and library
- Services DB: A platform to manage services across various runtime environments
- Systems and automation for our data centers
- Shipit: Our open-source deployment tool
Interested in applying? You should have experience with one or more of the following:
- Being a generalist developer who is comfortable with multiple languages such as C, Rust, Ruby, and Go.
- Hands-on development with cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCE, Azure, Kubernetes, Docker)
- Working anywhere in the stack, from right beside the OS and up
- Familiarity with network and web protocols, from IP to HTTP
- Working on application performance, in the browser and the server.
- Working with a variety of open-source software including nginx, redis, memcached and MySQL
- Building large distributed systems at scale
- Creating and pushing adoption of development tools to a large, distributed development team
- Automating development processes such as continuous integration and continuous delivery
Tools of our trade: Ruby, Rails, Go, Rust, Kubernetes, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, Docker, CI Pipelines, Distributed Systems, Google Cloud.
Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
Our team is distributed between the Montreal and Ottawa office in Canada. We have a great Mobility team that tailors individual relocation and immigration packages to best support your move.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application.
Closing date: September 18th at 3pm EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior Web Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Development Manager - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Mobile Developer - iOS||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Web Developer - Vault Tools||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Waterloo|
|Production Engineering - Production Platform||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Senior Anti-Abuse Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Datastores - Database Engineer -||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Senior Developers and Managers - Shipping Services||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Web Developer (Shopify Web)||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Security Developer - Internal Security||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Infrastructure Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Web Development Manager, Shopify Start||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Security Engineering Lead - Mobile Applications||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Developer - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|