About the role
Shopify’s platform receives millions of unique visitors each month and serves billions of requests per day. Our Anti-Abuse Team, part of the broader Trust & Security Team here at Shopify, makes sure we provide a trustworthy commerce platform for our 800,000+ merchants each and every day.
As an Anti-Abuse Engineer you'll dig deep into our systems and platform to understand abusive behaviours. Using this information and collaborating with a broad range of teams across Shopify, you will ship solutions to protect our merchants, their buyers and our company while supporting Shopify's rapid pace of development.
What will you do?
- Build monitoring capabilities to detect suspicious platform activity.
- Investigate activity patterns to understand abusive behaviour.
- Develop solutions to strengthen the platform’s resiliency against unwanted behaviours.
- Improve the platform’s email and messaging integrity protections.
- Scale and automate our responses to suspicious platform activities.
- Develop solutions to continuously monitor and strengthen Shopify’s posture in internet reputation systems.
You will need to have:
- Systems thinking and communication skills. You can see how systems interact with each other and can effectively communicate opportunity areas to other engineering teams.
- An engineering approach to problem solving. You’ve worked hands-on with technologies to solve problems, including technologies like DNS, DMARC, DKIM, NGINX, Splunk, Kubernetes, or Mode.
- Experience with platform abuse problems. You’ve thought about and worked on problems involving abuse, spam, fraud, or trust and safety issues.
- A data-driven mindset. When assessing a problem or verifying mitigation actions, you default to using data to tell the risk story.
- Keen pattern recognition. You recognize patterns of activity and can leverage that to understand and investigate behaviours on the platform.
- A love of learning. You love digging into new products as they're developed, teaching yourself new skills, and sharing what you've learned.
- Dedication to building relationships. You have empathy for other teams and how our work could impact them.
- Flexibility and lateral thinking. You can design and engineer solutions in a constantly changing environment.
- Comfort working autonomously. You can leverage our Default to Open culture to gather the context you need to meet your goals.
- Experience developing and implementing solutions in code It would be great if you have familiarity with Ruby on Rails, Python or Go.
- Understanding, investigating, and mitigating bad actors by leveraging platform features or APIs.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Marina is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in your cover letter - we do love a good story. 👍 📖
This posting will close on October 4 2019 at 12pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Production Engineering - Datastores - Database Engineer -||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Development Manager, Retail Channel||Engineering and Development||Toronto, Canada|
|Development Manager, Marketing Tools||Engineering and Development||Toronto, Canada|
|Security Engineering Lead - Mobile Applications||Engineering and Development||Toronto, Canada|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Toronto, Canada|