About the role
About Systems Research team
Systems Research team studies Shopify as a subsystem of commerce and conducts cross-company research studies on high impact areas to help teams discover the unknown, identify new opportunities, support alignment between multiple product lines, and speed up decision making at Shopify. The team uses mixed methods research methodology and multiple data sources to create well-rounded insights.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will work in a highly collaborative fashion as a core member of the Systems Research Team to prioritize data collection, transformation, and a multitude of advanced research techniques. You'll work closely with other researchers whose expertise spans cultural anthropology, design research, social and cognitive sciences, market research, information science, and data science to understand Shopify customers and their behaviours and needs, define and measure key metrics, promote new research techniques, question assumptions, and tell the story behind the numbers and patterns. As someone who thrives in a rapidly changing environment, you will develop a deep understanding of our data, research approaches, tools, and processes.
You’ll be an integral part of Shopify’s wider Data organization where we’ve built out a petabyte scale Hadoop cluster to make sure that every Shopifier can access the data they need to make better decisions. This includes empowering the 500,000+ merchants on our platform as well. With our goal of making commerce better for everyone, being a data-informed company includes enabling data-informed merchants! We’re looking for a Senior Data Scientist who is passionate about the world of commerce and the needs of its multiple audiences. You’ll be collaborating with directors and managers of product, designers, engineers, marketers, support, researchers and data scientists.
What you'll be doing:
- Understand and define internal and external commerce systems;
- Run cross-Shopify research studies on high impact areas (e.g. segmentation, customer life cycle and evaluation of business processes);
- Help teams discover the unknown and identify new opportunities using a wide range of research methods;
- Conduct ongoing experiments and segmentation studies to help teams speed up decision process;
- Generate and communicate knowledge created by multiple research disciplines and product lines to support decision-making;
- Support alignment between disciplines and product/service lines;
- Elevate research as a craft across the company.
You'll bring the following abilities and experiences to your team:
- Passion for unpacking and solving complex systems problems that span across multiple contexts;
- Ability to identify the best research methods and tools to use depending on project objectives and constraints;
- Exceptional mixed methods research abilities shown in a portfolio of real-world projects;
- Experience applying a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking;
- Extensive experience with Python or other programming language;
- Extensive experience using SQL;
- Understanding the many uses of regression and inferential statistics;
- Proficiency in research tools, such as research software (e.g. MAXQDA, NVivo, Microsoft Excel, SPSS), survey tools (e.g. SurveyMonkey, Typeform), remote usability tools (e.g. Optimal Workshop, Lookback, Dscout), data visualisation tools (e.g. Mode Analytics, Tableau, Matplotlib);
- Ability to clearly communicate evidence-based recommendations and accept feedback;
- Great organizational and interpersonal skills, with proven success building relationships across all levels.
- Ownership of data pipelines in production, from acquisition, to transformation (ETL) and insights. Previous experience with big data technologies such as Spark are useful for this.
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, please submit your application.
Please address your cover letter to Yoshi.
Show us the good stuff!!
Include a link to a few samples of your work that you’re proud of: portfolio of research studies, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
|Data Scientist Lead- Money||Data Science and Engineering||Montreal, Canada|