About the role
At Shopify, we empower 1,000,000 entrepreneurs all over the world. We're looking for hard-working, passionate people to help us make commerce better. For over 10 years we have been super driven when it comes to using data insights to help drive our product direction and make things better for our merchants.
At Shopify, we recognize that after our people, our most important asset is our data. With over 10+ years of aggregate ecommerce data, we are driven by the potential insights that our data can provide. Our 1Million merchants process over $72 billion in gross merchandising volume through our platform, and depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their business. The Data Science & Engineering team acts as the impact multiplier for Shopify’s product teams, putting over 11 petabytes of data to work to make our merchants more successful. From delivering merchandising insights, to optimizing shipping and processing rates, to reducing credit card fraud, to ad campaign recommendations - our data scientists deliver solutions from pipeline to platform via an array of open source tools.
Shopify's data organization is an autonomous discipline that's embedded throughout the company. Our Senior Data Scientists are "full stack" from ETL to shipping into production, informing stakeholders, gathering context and being an expert in their domain. We're looking to add experienced Data Scientists to our Waterloo teams with the trifecta of math, software engineering and business skills within industry.
Data Science Opportunities:
Shopify Plus - Advanced Insights/Data Science Team: Join Shopify Plus which supports our enterprise level clients. Our Shopify Plus Advanced Insights team works on projects like building data products for internal stakeholders, comprehensive analyses to understand where we should invest resources and help reimagine how we deliver Plus to the world. We collaborate closely with a multidisciplinary team of marketers, developers, product managers, UXers, and UX researchers to realize our mission.
Shopify Plus - Revenue & Sales Data Science Team: Partner with the Revenue and Sales teams on Shopify Plus along the entire journey of the marketing and sales lifecycle. We’re looking for someone that can work with leadership to define strategy, build data models to represent stages in the funnel, conduct deep dives to uncover patterns, build predictive models (shave any yaks along the way!), and convey key actionable insights at the appropriate technical level.
International Data Science Team: Provide insights into international markets as well as adoption of the Shopify platform in these markets. They work closely with the various International Growth commercial and product teams to inform and influence their roadmaps, create growth in new markets, and drive key product decisions.
You’ll need to have:
- Strong business domain experience (revenue/sales/marketing)
- Understanding of dimensional modelling concepts and database design/architecture or experience with feature engineering both at model build and in production
- Experience with statistical methods like regression, GLMs, clustering, experiment design, including sampling and multi-armed bandit approaches, shipping productionized machine learning systems at scale and other predictor or classifier models
- Extensive experience using Python including a strong grasp of object oriented programming (OOP) fundamentals
- Extensive experience analyzing data using SQL
- Exposure to Tableau, QlikView, Mode, Matplotlib, Jupyter, or similar data visualization tools
- You are equal parts technical and functional (and both are strong), and you are equally comfortable and effective at presenting to technical or business leaders
- Great organizational and interpersonal skills, with proven success building relationships across all levels
It’d be great if you had:
- Previous experience using Spark (esp. via Python or Scala)
- Strong background in machine learning including experience implementing models at scale (from Random Forest and GBMs to RNN/CNNs)
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Surina.
Closing Date: February 28th, 5pm EST
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.