About the role
Shopify is a commerce platform with the mission to make commerce better for everyone. Shopify powers over 800,000 merchants around the world, and we’re just getting started. This role will be part of the International Growth team, a segment within Shopify with the mission to make commerce better for everyone... everywhere. Our Singapore office will focus on export-oriented merchants within APAC, and related functionalities and features.
At Shopify, we ship on quality instead of time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. Hundreds of thousands of merchants will see your work within minutes – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
We’re looking for Senior Developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. Developers who want to join a company with a history of contributing to our community through code. You’ll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to bring your authentic self to work, and the chance to work with the best in the business.
Requirements for the role:
- Strong foundation of design principles, especially when it relates to platform development in the areas of API, data modelling, and scale
- Experience in building web services, and using relational databases and SQL
- Familiarity with Ruby and/or Ruby on Rails, or the desire to learn quickly
- Experience in writing automated tests as part of your development workflow (even better if you do it TDD)
- A generalist rather than a specialist - you're excited by experimentation and unblocking anything that stands in the way of success
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with other teams, across offices, and time zones
- A genuine interest in APAC, emerging markets, cultural nuances and/or product localization
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
Projects you could work on:
- Local payment integration, such as PayTM and Cash on Delivery
- Cross-border selling
- Translation platform, an in-house set of tools to help developers request and manage translations in a transparent, non-intrusive way
- Compliance with international laws, such as GDPR and ePrivacy Regulation
- Engaging with teams across Shopify to ensure all new features are built with our international markets in mind
- Focusing on building for the long term, in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible
- Giving back to the community by open-sourcing some key components
The tools you will use include:
- Ruby, Ruby on Rails (we also have some Go, Python)
- MySQL (some Postgres), Splunk, Datadog, Mode
It would be great if you have:
- A history of contributing to the developer community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing events
- A passion for helping growing development teams and making others better
- Experience building resilient, scalable services, and have an appreciation for concepts like SLA, and fault tolerance
- Experience with development on a leading cloud provider (GCP, AWS, Azure, etc.)
- A commitment and drive for quality, excellence and results
- If some of this tech is new to you, that's ok! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
How to apply
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: Github, website, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jennifer is looking forward to reading your application.
|Senior Web Developer, International Growth||Engineering and Development||Singapore|