About the role
We’re obsessed with helping our merchants and partners grow their businesses. And we know the best way to help them succeed is to build a culture where our people feel connected to our mission. Yeah, you know it, we’re talking about the power of internal communications.
We’re looking for an impactful communicator to join the Culture team at Shopify. Someone who’s curious and who asks good questions - even the tough ones - in order to get to the heart of what we do and why we do it. Someone who can connect the dots between our mission and strategies, between teams and individuals, and between projects and ideas. We’re growing fast, and stretching into new geographies, time zones and cultures. We need someone to help us draw new maps, navigate complex paths, build new bridges, and yes, come up with creative metaphors to make sense of it all!
If you’ve got a gift for connecting with others, a passion for bringing people together through creative, clear, and compelling communications (yes, we like alliteration too!) and you enjoy a healthy mix of building, teaching, and learning as you go, we’d love to hear from you.
Sound like you?
- You thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth and complex environment
- You’re passionate about the power of internal communications to connect people with purpose, and excited to shape the culture and company in meaningful ways
- You’re able to recommend, develop, and execute creative solutions to complex situations
- You build high-trust, impactful relationships with employees and leaders at all levels
- You’re an impactful writer who writes in a variety of tones from serious to playful, and you know when to deploy these techniques
- You embrace change, are adept at quick context shifts, and see opportunities where others see challenges; we’re a rapid growth company that moves fast
- You have a natural ability to coach and influence others, and you’re eager to help us scale our communications efforts internally
- You are located in (or willing to relocate to) Ottawa
Ideally, you have...
- Extensive, recent experience in an internal communications role
- Experience working in a complex, large company with many offices world-wide
- Experience working in a company that puts a priority on people and culture
- Experience communicating significant changes throughout an organization
- Experience managing issues and deploying crisis communications strategies internally
- A proven track record acting in a strategic advisory role
- Experience in a rapid-growth and/or tech company is a bonus
- Experience partnering with Talent/HR teams to deliver high-impact communications is again, a bonus
What you'll work on:
- Developing and executing on the internal communications strategy for Shopify to scale our communications efforts globally will be a major focus of this role
- Partnering with our Talent (HR) team to launch new programs into the organization and support changes to existing ones
- Supporting change management initiatives within the company (i.e. new software rollouts, organizational changes, etc.)
- Tackling crisis communications or issues management as the need arises
Using Shopify’s internal voice and tone guidelines (below) to shape your writing style, tell us why we should consider you for this role. And while there’s probably a whole novel you could write on this topic, let’s keep it short & sweet this time. Think two paragraphs-ish.
Authentic, not robotic. We’re humans, not robots—and there are some pretty amazing personalities and characteristics among these humans. Write as you’d naturally speak.
Direct, but with context. Keep communications short through direct language, especially if you’re asking the audience to do something specific (although you should avoid being prescriptive). Words matter: provide the right context for others to understand your views.
Lighthearted, but clear. We spend a lot of our day communicating and there’s no reason not to have some fun. Just remember, we still need to get the point. The clarity of your message comes first. The LOLs can be second.
|Compensation Analyst||HR and Culture||Toronto, Canada|
|Mobility Lead||HR and Culture||Toronto, Canada|
|Writer||HR and Culture||Toronto, Canada|
|Relationship Manager - Intern Program||HR and Culture||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Mobility Specialist||HR and Culture||Toronto, Canada|