About the role
At Shopify, we recognize that after our people, our most important asset is our data. With over 10+ years of aggregate ecommerce data, we are driven by the potential insights that our data can provide. Our 1,000,000+ merchants process over $72 billion in gross merchant volume through our platform, and depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their business.
The Online Store is the largest sales channel at Shopify and the primary channel for most of our merchants. It’s at the heart of how merchants and buyers think about Shopify, where we must continue creating value at scale, meeting modern buyer expectations, and being the best solution in the world for merchants new and experienced alike.
As Shopify continues to grow, we’re looking for a passionate Data Science leader to drive the data strategy for our Online Store products and experiences. Leading a team of world class Data Scientists, this role will focus on delivering meaningful insights and solutions to help improve our products, optimize the buyer & merchant journeys, and drive growth. This is a full-stack role spanning data science, data engineering and product analytics.
- Define and guide the short-term and long-term data strategy for the online group
- Partner with other functional teams such as Engineering, Product, & Design to identify unsolved user and business needs resulting in data powered solutions that scale.
- Cultivate a data-informed culture and deliver meaningful insights that drive product roadmaps and optimize business strategies
- Drive excellent practices for establishing metrics & KPIs to drive cross-functional alignment
- Lead, mentor, and guide your team of Data Scientists, helping them develop their analytical and leadership skills
- Collaborate with peer leaders in the Channels Data Science team (and the broader Data org) to improve and drive the group-wide Data Science & Engineering vision
- Experience building and managing high performance data science teams
- Exceptional problem solving and analysis skills combined with the ability to synthesize and effectively communicate findings to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- An entrepreneurial mindset. You must be comfortable rolling up your sleeves, thriving in ambiguity, and getting the work done
- Extensive experience with Python
- Extensive experience with building data pipelines and ETL design
- Experience with statistical methods like regressions, GLMs, experiment design and shipping productionized machine learning systems at scale
Some of the Data Science & Engineering team members you’ll work with:
Shopify team members you’ll work closely with:
Closing date: Nov 22, 2019 at 5pm EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior Data Developer - Machine Learning Platforms||Data Science and Engineering||Montreal - Office|
|Director of Data Platform Engineering||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Montreal|