About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce by raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services. To help power 1,000,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries, Shopify is always growing and finding new ways to create more value for commerce businesses around the world.
Shopify's User Experience team is focused on enabling people to make commerce better at a global scale. With over 400 designers, content strategists, researchers, and developers working across the company, this team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow. The UX team at Shopify has the mission to make commerce better for everyone… everywhere!
This is an opportunity to solve challenging problems that impact real people as they grow and maintain their businesses. In this role, you will work collaboratively and build iteratively with a multidisciplinary team of developers, product managers, content strategists, user researchers, and marketers. You’ll deliver world class experiences that make potentially confusing business tasks intuitive and manageable, and empower entrepreneurs world-wide to achieve independence.
- Improve the merchant experience. You’ll own projects from start to finish, while leading various UX initiatives including running design sprints to define and explore merchant problems, content mapping, sketching, wireframing, low and high fidelity prototyping, and leading stakeholder reviews
- Partner with researchers to help your team develop empathy for our merchants and advocate for their needs. Data will be just one of the many tools you will use to help inform your work
- Collaborate with different disciplines. You will work closely with engineers, product managers, researchers, and front-end developers to explore, build and ship your designs. You will help other disciplines understand the value design can bring to a project and ultimately build and ship the best products
- Be a mentor to less-experienced designers and make your team stronger. You’ll provide feedback to your peers to help strengthen your team and Shopify as a whole. You will help your teammates build context, strong decision-making skills, and empathy for our merchants
- Ship valuable and high-quality work without sacrificing speed
- Collaborate with multiple teams. Designing for cross-product, cross-platform foundational features, you will be leveraging and incorporating the domain expertise of teams focused on specific merchant workflows
- Passion for solving product problems while balancing all facets of a user experience (strategy and research, information architecture, interaction design)
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative design process including how to develop and use design research, job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wire-framing, prototyping, user testing, and high-fidelity visuals to achieve human-centred design solutions
- Proficiency in interaction design for native mobile and web applications
- Experience collaborating closely with multiple disciplines including product and engineering
- Proficiency with current industry design and collaboration tools such as Figma, Sketch, Github, etc.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
This posting will close on April 8th at 9am EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.