About the role
As a Senior Designer at Shopify, you will work on a product used by small fashion boutiques, global brands, and everything in between. Within the International team, the opportunity goes global as we seek to expand our borders and push the boundaries of the world of commerce.
This is a chance to learn about other countries, cultures, and opportunities from around the world, all so that we can build a product that helps merchants turn an idea into a viable business, from anywhere. We are a friendly, collaborative team, who leave their ego at the door, and care about the right solution above everything else. Our Designers identify problems, perform research, prototype solutions, and ship features, sometimes all in the same week.
Shopify UX is made up of over 400 Designers, Content Strategists, Researchers, and UI developers across offices around the world. While everyone at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, our UX team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants.
- Solving core product problems for merchants specifically in the EU and other international markets
- Creating elegant solutions for diverse, global needs. Moving across borders means re-examining solutions from different perspectives. You’ll be expected to dive into nuances from detailed UI like representing global addresses, dates, and calendars (to name a few), to understanding local preferences in information architecture, to diving deep on local retail experiences
- Prototyping, testing, and shipping design solutions to solve for complex problems
- Uncovering global merchant opportunities and pain points around the world through research, data, and experimentation, and bringing these back to Shopify’s broader UX team
- Identifying the best UX methods and tools to use depending on project constraints
- Advocating for good user experience across our platform by representing our merchants in product strategy and roadmap discussions
- Contributing to our growing design system of patterns in an effort to cultivate a cohesive look, feel, and user experience across the entire Shopify platform
- Sharing and reviewing your designs based on peer feedback, user research, testing, and merchant feedback
Relevant experience for the role:
- Experience working with users across the EU
- Previous experience owning and executing on UX designs through collaborative decision making with product managers, front-end developers, engineers, researchers, and other disciplines
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative UX process, including personas, scenarios, wireframing, content modeling, prototyping, user research, and design systems
- Empathy and advocacy for merchants and their buyers, in all areas of our work
- Experience using prototyping tools, as well as fundamental knowledge of front-end technologies to understand the constraints of design
- Extraordinary UI design abilities that can be demonstrated through current projects
- You’ve worked and collaborated with remote team members
What's in it for you:
- A collaborative, creative environment where we value experimentation and learning
- Autonomy. We don’t believe in micro-management
- A healthy work-life balance with benefits that support your full self e.g. flexible work hours, parental leave, perks to support your lifestyle (think cleaning services, athletic equipment) and give you more time for the things you care about most
- Learning and growing with the best in the business and getting the support you need to do the best work of your career
- Building strong relationships with your teammates in a culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity
- You’ve designed product experiences for international markets and/or global companies
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Luke is looking forward to reading your application!
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior Product Designer - Scale - International Growth||UX and Design||Berlin, Germany|