About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services on and offline. With one million merchants in more than 175 different countries, and the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt markets.
As the first Senior Product Designer on the Localization team, you have a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants around the world. This role sets up the foundation for bridging our country teams with the rest of Shopify UX's 400+ team, to share insights from global merchants to enable all product teams to consider local experiences. Making Shopify better for merchants around the world brings deeply interesting UX challenges across language, behaviours, currency & trade, and ultimately, culture. Your day to day will feature a mix of internal education and advocacy, as well as direct, merchant problem-solving on the most complex internationalization and localization problems that our product teams face. This is an opportunity to play a fundamental role of bringing global perspectives into Polaris, our design systems. You will work with a multidisciplinary UX team of product designers, content strategists, user researchers, and front-end developers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants around the world and make commerce better for everyone, everywhere.
We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
Requirements for the role:
- You’ve designed and shipped product experiences for international audiences.
- You’re curious and passionate about building unified yet tailored experiences across a diverse set of languages, cultures, and motivations.
- You like to collaborate with product management and engineering to balance the right decisions for the product with the right decisions for the users.
- You are experienced with creating, maintaining or developing multi-brand or multi-product design systems.
- You think in systems—the components, people, and their interconnectedness.
- You embrace complexity and ambiguity with a proven record of designing and shipping elegant solutions within these constraints.
- You have excellent communication skills, and can effectively bring various stakeholders to the same vision and objectives.
- Fluency in visual design including typography, colour systems, and layout.
Projects you could work on:
- Working with other teams at Shopify to build a deep understanding and consideration of merchant needs around the world in order to define Internationalization and Localization UX best practices.
- Ensuring our platform considers the full range of international merchant needs across language, culture, and local commerce behaviours by building the infrastructure for internationalization and localization.
- Work closely with the Polaris team to ensure internationalization and localization are built-in at the component and foundational level.
- Shaping how our product teams, including UX, engineering and product management collaborate to produce a world-class offering. The International team is still in the fundamental forming and storming stages as a product team. We’re building to the needs of our merchants while hardening our institutional knowledge.
- Be the craft steward of Internationalization and Localization UX best practices; build, refine, and share the knowledge with the rest of the Shopify’s UX teams.
- Building new products around international requirements, to serve merchants in new ways on the Shopify platform. We know that language, payments, & shipping products can function fundamentally different around the world - we need you to help us consider the breadth and depth of these challenges and provide simple, scalable experiences.
- Relationship building with UX teams across Shopify. While we have the freedom to define our own process, it’s essential to be a partner, advocate and challenger so considering the needs of the International merchants becomes a habit for all teams.
- Developing and shipping with speed and consistency. We have immediate needs to deliver on our product roadmap today, while setting the vision for tomorrow.
Closing date: November 25th, 2019 at 9am EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior UX Manager, Merchandising||UX and Design||Montreal, Canada|
|Senior Product Content Strategist||UX and Design||Montreal, Canada|
|Senior Product Designer||UX and Design||Montreal, Canada|
|Concepteur/conceptrice de produits - Thèmes||UX and Design||Montreal, Canada|
|Product Designer - Themes||UX and Design||Montreal, Canada|
|Senior Product Designer - Localization||UX and Design||Waterloo, Montreal|