About the role
The Product Team at Shopify is growing and we're looking for some seasoned product managers to join us!
Product Managers at Shopify work with customers, Engineering, UX, and other internal teams to decide what products we build and why we build them. They are the glue that unites all aspects of a product under a single, cohesive vision. They impact and create value for over 850,000 entrepreneurs in approximately 175 countries and over thousands of partners around the world that support Shopify merchants.
About the Platform Product Line
Shopify is the operating system of merchant’s businesses. Early on, we made the decision to build a Partner & Developer ecosystem to help merchants meet their unique needs by installing apps or hiring services. Commerce is so vast and each merchant has such unique needs that we rely on these ecosystems to allow merchants to customize Shopify to their needs. Our team builds the tools and operations that enables this ecosystem.
“Commerce itself is becoming more complex. At Shopify, we know that our App Platform is mission critical for us to solve this complexity.” - Brandon Chu, VP of Platform (in his Keynote at Unite 2018)
About the Role
Within the Platform team, you’ll be responsible for the part of the product line that provides infrastructure to all app developers so that they can build and scale their apps on Shopify to serve merchant needs. This includes the technological infrastructure, and the controls and governance (e.g., versioning, data security, app behaviour in our ecosystem, etc.) around how to build on Shopify so that we can maintain a reliable and trustworthy app ecosystem for both merchants and app developers. This is a vital part of our platform and one that we will continue to invest in and evolve in the coming years.
For this role you'll need to:
- Have a few years of experience managing products. It doesn’t matter so much what your job title was, so long as you have hands-on experience creating and leading tech products. We’re looking for people who have recognized market opportunities and customer needs - and turned them into products that have delighted real users
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset. Rolling up your sleeves, thrive in chaos, and get shit done
- Be genuinely excited about solving customer problems
- Empathize with the user and use data to inform product decisions
- Default to action and help your team do the same
- Be a team player, coach, and referee all-in-one
- Have great communication skills
- Work well with stakeholders from multiple disciplines
- Collaborate with designers, developers, marketers, and customers
It would be great if you had experience in:
- Managing large complex problems with many dependencies.
- An engineering or developer facing background.
- Start up experience.
Problems you'll be tackling:
- How can we enable Shopify apps to grow with merchants on Shopify?
- What can we do to make sure that there's a diversity across Shopify apps so that merchants can benefit?
- How can we enable app developers to build apps easily on Shopify?
- In what way should merchants discover and manage apps?
How to Apply📄 ➡️ 📬If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of partnerships at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please address your application to Jonathan.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.