About the role
The Production Engineering team builds and maintains Shopify’s critical infrastructure through software and systems engineering. We make sure Shopify - the world’s fastest growing commerce platform - stays reliable, performant, and scalable for our 1000+ member development team to build on, and our 800,000 merchants to depend on.
This position for the Production Engineering team is a hybrid software/system engineer on the Product Sourcing team. Our team covers the disciplines of site reliability engineering, infrastructure engineering, and developer productivity, all to empower merchants and boost their confidence in Shopify’s products.
- Ability to be resourceful and independently learn new languages, software, frameworks and APIs
- Experience debugging and maintaining distributed systems
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Experience with application resiliency and capacity planning of large internet services
- Implementation of critical production database infrastructure
- Understanding of what it’s like to build an app from ground-up, to bridge the gap between an app and the system that runs it
- Scaling system architecture and knowledge of orchestration tools such as Mesos or Kubernetes
- Continuous integration and delivery processes with an emphasis on automation
- Comfortable talking about container technologies
- Experience dockerizing applications is a plus
Projects you'll be working on
- Migrating databases and workloads between cloud providers including planning a roll out strategy that creates little to no disruption
- Hands on implementing Kubernetes clusters and deployments strategies
- Deploying tooling or applications to multiple clusters
- Productizing resilient operational patterns
- Working as part of the engineering team to build and scale distributed, multi-region systemsInvestigating and resolving production issues
- Building self-service tooling for engineers to automate the configuration and monitoring of infrastructure
Ideally you have experience with these tools, languages and services
- Go, PHP or Ruby is a plus.
- Developing monitoring, tooling and alerting at scale, high availability systems including Prometheus, Grafana, StatsD, FluentD, and Datadog
- AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
- MySQL is a bonus
- Deployment and maintenance of: NGINX, Redis, Elasticsearch
There is an on-call component to this role and you will share an on-call rotation alongside your team.
How to Apply? If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application.
Closing date: July 1, 2019 at 9 am (EEST).
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.