About the role
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, supporting over 800,000 merchants globally, with no plans to slow down. We’re on a mission to scale our platform while simultaneously improving performance, reliability, and resiliency. To do this, we need the help of dedicated, methodical, and versatile developers.
We’re looking for senior back-end and full-stack developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. We ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking hundreds of thousands of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
We’re growing our Montreal office, so there are plenty of opportunities to learn and advance in a variety of teams. You’ll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to bring your whole self to work, and the chance to work with the best in the business.
Teams you could be supporting:
Financial Solutions: Managing money can be one of the most stressful parts of running a business. Shopify creates simple financial solutions that help merchants accept payments and capital, avoid fraud, and pay their bills. We take the worry and confusion out of finances, so entrepreneurs around the world can focus on growing their business.
International Growth: We have hundreds of thousands of merchants on the Shopify platform at the moment, mostly in North America. This team is tackling the challenges that come from creating localized versions of our platform, and that means a heck of a lot more than just translations.
Core: Building the Foundations of everything Shopify does. These teams control and improve upon the back office interface at the heart of our merchant's experience while using our platform. Their work forms the backbone of our services, touching and enabling all other aspects of what we do.
Channels: Shopify Channels was designed to give merchants one unified platform to do it all. The teams in this Product Line helps entrepreneurs grow their businesses by creating experiences that feel empowering and delightful across numerous online and offline channels.
Relevant experience for the role:
- Building backend web services using several languages and frameworks (some tools we use include Ruby, UNIX commands, Go, Kafka, Python)
- Working with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Working with Rails, or the desire to learn it quickly
- Building and scaling user-focused web applications and/or mobile applications using different technologies (i.e. React, Angular, Backbone, Bootstrap, Swift, Android)
- A history of contributing to our community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing
- Experience building resilient, scalable services, and concepts like SLA, fault tolerance, circuit breakers ring a bell
- Experience with development on a leading cloud provider (GCE, AWS, Azure, etc.)
- A commitment and drive for quality, excellence and results
- A passion for helping growing development teams and making others better
- Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We look forward to reading your application.
|Calling all Production Engineers||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Calling all Senior Production Engineers||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto|
|Production Engineering - Observability Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Caching Platform - Senior Production Engineer||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Lead Software Engineer - Mobile Security||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|iOS Developer - Core Mobile||Engineering and Development||Montreal - Office|
|Senior Web Developer - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Montreal - Office|
|Are you a Security Engineering Manager or Technical Lead?||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Production Engineer - Sr Kafka Engineer||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Montreal|
|Production Engineering - Database Engineer - Datastores||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Lead & Senior Lead Developers - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Montreal - Office|