About the role
You’ll be working on things like:
- Managing several teams and helping them prioritize, build and ship the most impactful features to our merchants and community of developers.
- As a member of the product area leadership, build a composite roadmap that reflects the priorities in the different areas and continuously rebalance the teams to react to changes in the surrounding conditions.
- Work on problems with your teams, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
- Work with product, UX and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants.
- Grow a team of teams both through internal development and helping with external hiring.
Qualities you likely have to be well suited to this role:
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, ReactJS, PHP or Python.
- Familiarity with distributed and highly available systems at scale.
- A strong technical foundation. You feel comfortable diving into the code and interacting with developers at all levels of seniority.
- Experience designing and developing APIs.
- Proven leadership skills. Your management skills and technical depth allows you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader engineering strategies.
- You are comfortable working with senior stakeholders (Director level and up), both technical and non technical.
- You have successfully built and grown large teams of engineers during your career.
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results.
- Domain experience in eCommerce, shipping & logistics, or financial services is ideal but not necessary for versatile engineering leaders who are strong in their craft.
- You have experience building your own app(s) on platforms like Shopify.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Jane is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Shopify is now permanently remote, and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet: https://www.shopify.com/about/environment#SustainabilityReports
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.