About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce by raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services. To help power 1,000,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries, Shopify is always growing and finding new ways to create more value for commerce businesses around the world.
Shopify's User Experience team is focused on enabling people to make commerce better at a global scale. With over 400 designers, content strategists, researchers, and developers working across the company, this team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow. The UX team at Shopify has the mission to make commerce better for everyone… everywhere!
We’re looking for a senior user experience leader to help us understand and explore our next set of challenges. We need someone capable of building opinions using research insights, data, and experience. Someone who is comfortable defining goals, direction and strategy, but also comfortable getting into the weeds and working hands on with their teams. At Shopify, leaders sketch too. They thrive on change and operate on trust, leveraging the diverse perspectives of the people on their team in everything they do. We’re fascinated by how you think, how you break down problems, and how you come up with solutions. We look for those who question, who are optimistic but never satisfied, and always seek to do better and make better. We love those who always want to deeply understand why people do things and how to improve.
The Merchandising team is diving deep into how our merchants sell the right products to the right customers at the right time. As the Senior UX Manager for Merchandising, you’ll be responsible for the overall experience quality and strategy for how merchants do merchandising. You will work with multidisciplinary UX teams made up of product designers, content strategists, user researchers, and UX developers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants around the world. You’ll work alongside product managers and engineering teams to explore, build, and launch your ideas.
You’ll be working on:
- Leading UX for our Merchandising product line by establishing clear definitions of quality to enable your team to ship exceptional user experiences on your projects
- Working as a strategic partner with leadership in Engineering and Product Management to define the overall strategy and direction for the Merchandising group
- Developing baseline knowledge in all our UX disciplines (Research, Design, Content Strategy, and UX Development) and deep domain expertise in Merchandising
- Building new products around international requirements, to serve merchants in new ways on the Shopify platform. We know that language, payments, & shipping products can function fundamentally different around the world — we need you to help us consider the breadth and depth of these challenges and provide simple, scalable experiences
- Developing and shipping with speed, consistency, and quality. We have immediate needs to deliver value to our users today while setting ourselves up for our vision of tomorrow
- Leading your teams through a fast-moving landscape while also providing growth opportunities
- Contributing to our growing design system in an effort to cultivate a coherent look and feel across the entire Shopify platform
Requirements for the role:
- Expert knowledge of the end-to-end iterative product design process, including how to develop and use personas, job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wireframing and prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity visuals
- Experience leading teams of teams in a multidisciplinary UX environment. Ours includes research, design, front end development, and content strategy
- Deep experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes across a design, content strategy, and research while working with cross-functional teams including development, and product management
- A deep empathy for the user and a desire to learn as much as possible about how they use Shopify on every platform
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your design rationale
Some of the Shopifolk you’ll be working with:
- Kyle Peatt, UX Director
- Biz Sanford, UX Manager
- Farai Madzima, UX Manager
- More can be found at https://ux.shopify.com/
Tools of our trade
- We work with industry-standard tools and software like Figma, Github, whiteboard markers, and good ol’ pen and paper to define work at the right fidelity level for the project.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Holly is looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
This posting will close on Wednesday, January 22th at 9am EST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.