About the role
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants around the globe. At Shopify Plus, our merchants are some of the biggest and fastest growing businesses in history. The problems we solve are as complex as the stakes are high. Ecobee, Fashion Nova, Rebecca Minkoff, Nestle, MVMT and Leesa are merchants that have seen the value Shopify Plus brings to their businesses through our understanding of commerce at scale.
We’re looking for a Senior UX Researcher to join the Shopify Plus team in Waterloo to help us understand the problems and opportunities faced by merchants trying to scale their business globally.
About the UX Research Team
The UX Research team guides and informs the company towards designing and building better products and experiences for people using a variety of research methods. Researchers work with a multidisciplinary team of developers, product managers, content strategists, designers, and marketers to incorporate people-centric thinking from the beginning of a project to its inevitable iterative improvement. We ask thoughtful research questions, conduct contextual research, frame problems, synthesize insights, evaluate concepts or prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
We value diversity and learning from one another, so you’ll be joining a team of researchers from various backgrounds (e.g. anthropology, psychology, human-computer interaction, industrial design). You’ll have opportunities to learn, lead, and contribute to meaningful work.
You'll be working on:
- Proactively articulating research questions and priorities with teammates, then creatively using a range of research methods to transform those into insights
- Synthesizing, summarizing and evangelizing findings to impact product, UX, and marketing decisions
- Making sure your insights lead to tangible changes in the products that we ship
- Collaborating closely with designers, developers, product managers, and other disciplines to design, implement, and track new products or experiences
- Sharing knowledge, identifying, and solving wider problems with other UX researchers
- Helping merchants grow their businesses with better marketing tools and selling in more ways (e.g. point of sale, new sales channels)
You'll need to have:
- A proactive and self-starting attitude
- Research experience in a product development or service design context
- Hands-on experience scoping and prioritizing research questions, research planning, data gathering, analysis, summarizing, and sharing findings
- Experience applying a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking
- A desire to continually experiment with and develop new methods
- Examples of projects where your research insights led to better informed design decisions (e.g. to guide product roadmaps, strategy decisions)
- Examples of how you influenced teams or companies to become more people-centred
- Empathy for non-technical people performing high-stakes tasks
- A love for asking questions, seeking answers, and working with others to solve difficult design problems
Bonus points if you have experience with:
- Experience doing research on/with multinational businesses
- Familiarity with combining qualitative and quantitative data
- Spoken at conferences or written about research, UX, design, or strategy
- Skills, hobbies, or experience that have given you a unique perspective on UX research
- Experience starting your own business
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly appreciate the time you are about to put in!
We will start reviewing applicants the week of April 30th. All responses to applicants should be delivered by May 15th.
We are looking forward to reading your application.