About the role
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world to start and grow their businesses. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down!
Working here, you’ll ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day on a massive production scale. We’re talking hundreds of thousands of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. With both entrepreneurs and household brands depending on us for their livelihood, it’s a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility. We’re looking for technical leads who are passionate about performance, accessibility, and building for the long-term. You’ll have a real desire for solving tough problems with performant code and you’ll have experience with shaping long-term product vision and owning its implementation.
These teams are currently seeking Staff Developers to spearhead the technical direction of our products and features:
- Shipping: We're massively scaling what shipping and fulfillment mean to the hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs and businesses that use Shopify. As a Staff Developer on this team, you’ll be helping to drive the technical direction of our Warehouse Management Software, a key component of the Shopify Fulfillment Network.
- Orders: Part of our Logistics product line, the Orders team addresses our merchants’ fundamental order and fulfillment needs, including the ability to process orders faster and meet buyers’ expectations for fast delivery. The Staff Developer will help improve order processing, prioritization, and aim to ultimately improve our merchants’ time to fulfill an order for their customers.
- Financial Solutions: If we carved off this team as it’s own company, it’d be the fastest growing fintech company in Canada. The Money infrastructure team is responsible for building and maintaining the system and infrastructure for subscription-based billing, payment processing, and revenue recognition. As the pace of growth has been keeping up, our system needs to remain reliable while still providing the flexibility for adding new features to allow the Shopify platform to collect revenue or grow Shopify’s business.
- Insights: Shopify gives us a deep level of insight into what's hot and what's not, what sells and what doesn't and the best time to sell everything from shoes in Germany to bikes in the US. This is knowledge we want to pass onto our merchants to help them make data-driven decisions that will make them more successful. The Staff Developer will help build merchant-facing products on top of an AI platform to scale data-driven recommendations.
Requirements for the role:
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks including (but not limited to) Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Experience building large scale, high throughput systems
- Experience with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Experience developing on a leading cloud provider (GCE, AWS, Azure, …)
What you'll work on:
- Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Design and build innovative features that are driven by web scale data
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Collaborate with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best commerce experience for our merchants
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!
Closing date: Friday, November 22th at 12pm ET.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Developer and Senior Developers||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Developer Lead - Support Team||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Developer Acceleration Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Production Engineering - Web Foundation Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Developer Writer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Director of Technical Education, R&D||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Infrastructure Engineers||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Development Manager - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Business Systems Integration Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|