About the role
At Shopify, Tech Lead Engineers (also referred to as Staff Engineers) use their expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. As a technical leader, you’ll help drive your team’s vision to its implementation. You and the team will design and build technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shopify to build powerful and resilient distributed cloud software. Merchants that depend on Shopify for a highly scalable, performant, and reliable platform benefit directly from the work you do. You will maintain a high bar for quality and lead and mentor other engineers. And of course, you’ll be hands-on in the code and contribute technically. Here are just some of the stories from the teams who build and scale Shopify.
Our Frontend Developers work closely with software engineering teams, designers and product managers to not only build incredible merchant-facing products, but also developer-facing tools. You’ll use modern technologies and frameworks like Typescript, React, GraphQL and Apollo to develop large front-end web applications that scale and perform well on all devices. Ruby on Rails is used to add and modify controllers, models, views, and integrating front-end code into a Rails application.
What you’ll do as a Tech Lead Software Engineer at Shopify:
- Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Design and build innovative features that are driven by web scale data
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Collaborate with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best commerce experience for our merchants
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
- A proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must
- Experience building large scale, high throughput distributed systems and scaling web services, particularly those using and analyzing large amounts of data
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with UX and Product Management teams across time zones
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
As there are multiple positions, this posting will remain live until all positions have been filled. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of application.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you’re really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you’d like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/teams/engineering
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.