About the role
Shopify is on a mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe. We provide solutions for some of the fastest growing, most ambitious brands in the world who are running flash sales, driving huge amounts of buyers to our platform. We power organizations like Allbirds, FashionNova, Purple Mattress, Gymshark, Kayne West and Kylie Cosmetics to realize their ambitions. We see massive surges in traffic during these sales, which provides challenges to how we build our platform. The Platform Conditioning team builds tooling to simulate these spikes in traffic so that teams across the company can build software that is resilient.
At Shopify, Staff Developers use their expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. As a Staff Developer, you’ll help drive the product vision to its implementation. You and the team will design and build technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shopify to build powerful and resilient distributed cloud software. Merchants that depend on Shopify for a highly scalable, performant, and reliable platform benefit directly from the work you do. You will maintain a high bar for quality and think deeply about empowering other developers. You’ll also be hands-on in our code and will contribute technically.
Required experience for the role:
- A proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship for is a must
- Experience helping build a productive and engaged team
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Experience building large scale, high throughput distributed systems and scaling web services, particularly those using and analyzing large amounts of data
- A past history of building and shipping innovative products and features as a software developer
- Experience with performance testing, load simulation or build pipeline tooling is an added bonus
Projects you could work on:
- Gaining an understanding of how Shopify works as a whole
- Building technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shopify to build resilient distributed cloud software
- Understanding the types of traffic that we see at Shopify and simulating that traffic
- Working through problems with your team, forming an opinion and advocating for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Being a technical influencer across the company
- Designing and building innovative features that are driven by data
- Collaborating with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best commerce experience for our merchants
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!
This posting will close on Friday, February 28th.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Production Engineering - Cloud Network Engineering Specialist, Network Foundations||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Apprentice Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Production Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Senior Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|