About the role
Shopify is on a mission to make commerce better for everyone
Over the next 10 years, the retail world will change at a fundamental level. Every store will need an e-commerce website. Customers will expect flexible options of where and how to buy: in-store or online, delivered or for pick-up. It’s an incredibly exciting time for this industry, and Shopify is right at the centre of it. The opportunity to shape how commerce works all over the world is in our hands. We have a huge playground to work with, and we’ve already proven that we can move faster than anyone else. But right now we’re only part of the way there. To continue building the future of commerce, we need your help.
As our newest technical product manager you’ll be a crucial part of that change.
The product opportunity
The Insight’s team mission is simple ‘Make our Merchants Smarter'. We care deeply about being able to guide our merchants make business decisions using powerful data driven analytics and over time automate those actions for them. Our vision is to make Insights our merchants trusted business companion; one they rely on to help them not only understand the health of their business but a platform they count on to optimise their business and help them achieve their entrepreneurship goals.
As the Technical Product Manager, you will help define the strategy, drive requirements, and deliver products that power data science and data modelling across all of Shopify. You will work closely with world-class Engineering teams, Product Managers, and Data scientists. Having excellent communication and collaboration skills, excellent technical and analytical understanding, product management expertise, good judgment, and deep background in developing, deploying or launching data systems, models, and products will allow you to thrive in this role.
Come join a team that is on a mission to make our merchants smarter by delivering pervasive insights at the point of impact making Shopify the leader in delivery of analytics in the retail industry.
What will I be doing?
- Defining and guiding long term Data strategy for the Insights product offering
- Defining and running data driven experiments
- Communicating with development teams in technical details, understand the implications of certain decisions, and make trade-offs in terms of complexity, depth or even timelines.
- Participating in conversations when engineers are debating the best way to implement something. Helping the teams estimate more accurately.
- Creating and iterating upon the product roadmap and technical product requirements
- Working with the other product managers on the team to ensure there is cohesion between the deliverables
- Collaborating with our Data service line and engineering teams on a day-to-day basis to build iterative, high quality products
- Defining clear success metrics, and supporting your teams to achieve them
- Working with teams on small, fast iterative projects to execute that strategy - driving the vision and cadence of execution
- Living and breathing segmentation. We have a lot of merchants and they aren’t all the same
- Working and communicating with stakeholders from multiple disciplines and across multiple product lines
What experience do I need?
- Experience working as a Product Manager or a Technical Leadership role in Analytics or Data Engineering
- Significant experience building and delivering analytic applications
- Strong understanding of analytic data management i.e. dimensional modelling, data warehousing, Proven track record of delivering product to market that is successful and drives revenue for the company
- Product management discipline and been working as a product manager
- Capability to make good decisions quickly that helps your teams do the same
- The ability to take a strategy and translate it to actionable tasks
- You must be comfortable rolling up your sleeves, thriving in chaos, and getting shit done
- Strong team player and ability to work across teams to ensure cohesion and alignment to a single product direction
- Great communication skills
- Experience in setting data-driven goals, with objective success metrics for your projects that your teams can rally behind
- Familiarity with new and upcoming data technologies - including HDFS, Hive, Kafka, Spark, Presto, Docker, Kubernetes, data warehousing solutions, and in-memory databases
It would be nice if you also had:
- An entrepreneurial mindset.
- SaaS and Big Data experience is a plus
- A strong growth mindset
- Empathy for the merchant and a genuine excitement for solving merchant problems
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Alexa is looking forward to reading your application.
|Lead Product Manager, Billing - Financial Solutions||Product Management||Ottawa, Canada|
|Product Manager for Capital||Product Management||Ottawa, Canada|
|Director of Product, Financial Solutions||Product Management||Ottawa, Canada|
|Product Manager - Merchant Tools - Shipping Services||Product Management||Ottawa, Canada|
|Product Manager - Finance & Inventory||Product Management||Ottawa, Canada|