About the role
We’re looking for a UX Developer Lead to help grow our team. You will work on planning, resourcing, and executing projects, while providing mentorship and creating growth opportunities for the people on your team. You’ll also collaborate across our leadership teams to help push the disciplines of user experience (UX) and front end development forward across the company.
The Themes team is focused on building storefronts that work hard for our merchants. Our developers and designers strive to create intuitive experiences for shoppers that emphasize web performance and accessibility. We’re creating a suite of themes that match merchants’ needs and we work closely with teams in UX Research to understand online shoppers to be confident in our solutions.
Our team plays a critical role in advancing theme development at Shopify. We champion Slate, an open source development tool, and work with our colleagues across the Online store channel to shape the development of new platform features.
As a Lead, you'll focus on:
Supporting and developing your direct reports:
- Mentor and create growth opportunities for the people on your team
- Grow your team’s expertise in their craft and in their communication (and your own!)
- Help your team obsess with the problem—are they engaged, resourceful, thinking about impact?
Supporting and building the front end and UX disciplines:
- Collaborate with other leads across the company
- Think about what other teams and leads may learn from you, and what you can you learn from them
- Seek opportunities to build Shopify's presence in the UX community
- Work on planning, resourcing, and executing projects
- Help your team define their roadmap and how you’ll get there
- Help your team make decisions
- Be a source of knowledge in your product domain
- Give feedback on and help build the product
Here are projects this team has been championing lately:
- Being an advocate throughout the company for great user experience for both our merchants and their customers
- Building storefront templates that are performant, accessible, and well-tested
- Building developer tools to help the open source community create their own Shopify storefronts
- Collaborating with other disciplines, from engineering to design, to help develop new capabilities and launch new features to over 500,000 storefronts
Some people you might work with here:
Tools and nitty gritty of the team 🛠:
- We are using a Gulp-based build system for theme development and write our styles in SCSS.
- We are currently building the next iteration of this build system with features such as dependency management and ES6 support.
- We build all our projects with a collaborative code review process using Github Flow
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Shane and include a link to something you're proud of: a portfolio, code samples and/or Github account.
|Web Developer Lead, Checkout||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Director of Datastores||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Lead Software Developer||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Production Engineering Lead - Search Infrastructure||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Developer Tools Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -4 to UTC -8 time|
|Mobile Developer - Security||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Software Developer||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Kafka Infrastructure Engineer||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Senior Software Developer||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Backend Software Developer||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Web Team Lead, Core||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Software Developer Lead - International Growth||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Production Engineering - Scalability and Reliability||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Choose your own Security Engineering adventure||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|