About the role
We’re looking for people to join our Themes team who are excited about building human-centred experiences. This team is focused on building storefronts that work hard for both our merchants and online shoppers across the world. As a UX Developer, you will play a critical role in creating experiences that are intuitive for shoppers and emphasize web performance and accessibility.
Themes team members also work with teams across the company to launch new features and improve the platform as a whole. There are plenty of opportunities to learn and advance. You’ll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to bring your whole self to work, and the chance to work with the best in the business.
- A deep expertise in UX development as a craft
- Knowledge about modern CSS language features, including Flexbox, CSS Grid, feature queries
- An understanding of HTML semantics and ARIA roles, and knowing their correct application
- Expertise in building modular, reusable, flexible components and accessible interfaces
- Working in a cross-discipline environment with designers and other developers to prototype early concepts to vet ideas
- Collaborating on new technologies and processes within a company or community
- Awareness of web accessibility and empathy for building products for people with different abilities and needs.
You’ll get to do things like:
- Working with designers to redesign and code our first-party themes for the next version of the Theme Editor
- Building a brand-new theme template for the Theme Store specializing in shopping experiences for large inventories
- Improving our first-party themes quality in web accessibility and web performance
- Work with other teams to build relevant customer journey to other owned & operated destinations
- Learn the latest front end technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best techniques possible
- Be an advocate throughout the company for great UX
- Learn through peer mentorship and collaboration
- Managing an open source library
- Experience in a UX development role on a commerce site, or a marketing site promoting a product or service
- Experience with design systems
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application!
Closing date: Friday September 27 at 3 pm ET.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities.