About the role
About the role
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe. Our Platform team, which builds products to support our growing partner ecosystem is an important part of our success. Our multi-disciplinary Platform product line builds experiences that help merchants succeed through solutions developed by our partners. One of the unique opportunities for UX development on Platform is to think about how we might continue to evolve our design system Polaris and other educational opportunities to help guide our developer partners to build better user experiences for Shopify merchants.
We’re looking for a UX Development to focus on how we build first class front-end experiences across our Platform team. You’ll be a member of the user experience team, working alongside designers, researchers, content strategists, and other UX developers all collaborating on building interactive, inclusive, performance, and reusable user interfaces. You’ll also collaborate with engineering to craft code that’s built for the long term, including state management, new APIs, and large data structures that allow us to render user interfaces.
We’re looking for someone with high standards, who has excellent craft skills, and who is comfortable mentoring and supporting team members to help them grow in their technical skills. We’re also looking for someone who will participate in Shopify-wide advocacy efforts as we continue to grow, support and invest in UX development.
Learn more about our UX team on the Shopify UX blog.
- Identify and create opportunities for UX developers to contribute to building world-class user experiences
- Build accessible, responsive, performant experiences and educate your product teams on why this matters
- Contribute to and evolve styling conventions, guidelines and best practices that have a wide reach with a deep understanding of the impact your work will have on products and teams
- Develop systems that scale now and into the future
- Help define best practices and interaction principles for Platform
- Create technical implementation plans for interface development
- Anticipate and respond to accessibility issues in early stages of design and development
- Take ownership of educating teams on how to test interfaces on various browsers, operating systems, devices, networks and assistive technologies.
- Assess the craft of other UX developers, identify gaps in skill sets, support them in improving their craft, and provide feedback to their managers
- Participate in UX and technical reviews and advocate for quality front-end experiences
- Build high quality production code—this isn’t just a prototyping role!
You bring experience:
- Mentoring and growing a team of people through direct management
- Working on end-to-end iterative UX product design projects, with awareness of common practices such as user research techniques, job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wireframing and prototyping, and user testing
- Possess deep, expert knowledge in at least one area of reusability, inclusiveness (accessibility, internationalization, etc), performance, or interaction
- Building and scaling systems that power multiple projects
- Thinking about how to build accessible experiences at every stage of a project and a deep understanding of what it means to build compliant systems
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams that might include designers, product managers, engineers, data scientists, designers, user researchers, and content strategists
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We're looking forward to reading your application.
This posting will close on Monday, Sept 23rd at 9 am EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.