About the role
Shopify is redefining commerce and raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products. On this mission, we partner with thousands of agencies and freelancers who build apps, customize stores and provide help to 1,000,000+ of our merchants.
On the Platform UX team, we work on products that empower our partners to push the boundaries of commerce. Informed by research and data, we solve complex problems and build iteratively toward our vision. We quickly prototype solutions and ship high-fidelity designs of new features. We own our projects from start to finish and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of developers, product managers, content strategists, user researchers, and marketers to deliver the best possible experience for both our partners and merchants.
As a UX Manager within this area, you’ll have a special role in building empathy for app development partners — and development teams within Shopify — to help them learn how to build richer apps that integrate closely with Shopify using our latest design patterns and technologies. The person in this role will focus on product but will also guide and influence the future experience of apps across Shopify.
What you'll be working on
- Managing a small cross-disciplinary UX team where you’ll be responsible for stewarding the user experience quality and vision within your area
- Scaling your team sustainably with the right amount of new people, better processes, and diverse thinking
- Collaborating with product and engineering peers on future planning and vision to ensure you’re building the right product, in the right way, to deliver the best experience
- Guiding and contributing to UX work through collaborative decision-making with front-end developers, engineers, researchers, content strategists, and other disciplines
- Working closely with teams across Shopify to increase adoption of your teams’ products, ensuring the opportunity is well understood externally and internally
- Participating as the UX representative on the App Capabilities leadership team and owning the UX direction for new mandates and areas of focus
- Balancing shipping value to our partners with holding us to a high UX quality standard, always putting our merchants and partners’ needs front and center
- Working with research and data science teams to investigate new avenues, test assumptions and gain empirical evidence to inform your work
- Advocating for good user experience across our platform by representing our partners in product strategy and roadmap discussions.
Requirements for the role
- You’ve got a deep experience working on teams that have shipped simple, well designed and rationalized products to solve complex customer needs, and have business results to show for it
- You’ve managed people before or have a proven track record of mentorship that points to your ability to help people grow and succeed in their careers
- You have the capacity to act on immediate needs while building for the long term with vision and strategy
- You have a track record of relying on sound data and research to make decisions quickly and can think strategically about how to roll experiences out as smaller pieces to validate assumptions
- You are comfortable balancing out team mentoring, hands-on UX work, and providing input for product decisions
- You can effectively communicate your design approach, methods and decisions beyond the UX team, to other organizations and stakeholders
- You have successfully built and maintained relationships with developers and managers, and can champion the team’s ideas within the organization and beyond
- You have a portfolio of previous work that demonstrates a thoughtful, user-centered approach to product development
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Elizabeth. We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!
Closing date: Friday, March 6 at 12pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.