About the role
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe. At Shopify Plus, our merchants include some of the biggest and fastest growing businesses in history. The problems we solve are complex and the stakes are high. Gymshark, Fashion Nova, Rebecca Minkoff, and Nestle are merchants that have seen the value Shopify Plus brings to their businesses through our understanding of commerce at a global scale.
As a Web Development Manager with Shopify Plus, you will focus on how we support, educate, and facilitate building web-based business-to-business related features. Keep your hands in the code with this hybrid position while leading a team of 2, with plans for headcount growth throughout 2020. This hands-on people leadership role will have heavy emphasis on mentorship, training & development and performance management while still providing strong influence over technical architecture creation and solution design.
Leads at Shopify help their teams realize their true potential. As the Web Development Manager, you will leverage your established technical know-how and commitment to individual growth to build a high performance team that will be successful in delivering world-class products. You will set and hold high standards on your team and create conditions to support them in achieving their collective and personal goals. You will strengthen relationships across the entire company and leverage these connections as needed to unblock your team and deliver amazing products to our merchants.
What you'll work on:
- Build high quality, globally available, fault tolerant systems and products
- Go deep into the platform and solve the hardest problems we have
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Be a technical influencer across the company
- Design and build innovative features that are driven by web scale data
- Collaborate with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best commerce experience for our merchants
- Grow the Plus organization both through internal development and external hiring
- Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
Requirements for the role:
- A passion for seeing your team grow their skills and successfully navigate complex challenges; people management is your jam!
- A strong technical foundation that is as good, or better, than our Senior Web Developers
- A proven track record of success in leading software development teams through your leadership
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Experience setting and delivering on objectives through measurable metrics and results
- A past history of building and shipping innovative products and features as a software developer
- E-commerce experience a plus
Please feel free to add any links to online portfolios, public works, GitHub repos, or anything else that helps to showcase your work.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application! Please get your application to us by Friday, April 17th at 4:00pm ET.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.