Profit margin calculator
This easy calculator will help you determine selling prices for your products in order to save money and increase profits
Profit margin calculator results
Your sale price
Need to develop an effective pricing strategy for your business? First, you’ll need to figure out your markups and profit margins.
Shopify’s easy-to-use profit margin calculator can help you find a profitable selling price for your product.
To start, simply enter your gross cost for each item and what percentage in profit you’d like to make on each sale. After clicking “calculate”, the tool will run those numbers through its profit margin formula to find the final price you should charge your customers.
From there, you can effectively price your products and start profiting off each sale.
Profit margin indicates the profitability of a product, service, or business. It’s expressed as a percentage; the higher the number, the more profitable the business.
It’s simple to find gross profit margin automatically using the calculator. To calculate manually, subtract the cost of goods sold (COGS) from the net sales (gross revenues minus returns, allowances, and discounts). Then divide this figure by net sales, to calculate the gross profit margin in a percentage.
Shopify’s free profit margin calculator does it for you, but you can also use the following formula:
- Step 1: X (Net sales) - Y (COGS) = Z
- Step 2: Z / X (Net sales) = % Gross profit margin
Follow these easy steps to calculate a 20% profit margin:
- 1. Use 20% in its decimal form, which is 0.2.
- 2. Subtract 0.2 from 1 to get 0.8
- 3. Divide the original price of your good by 0.8
- 4. The resulting number is how much you should charge for a 20% profit margin
Shopify’s free profit margin calculator is fast and easy to use, to get started:
- 1. Go to shopify.com/tools/profit-margin-calculator
- 2. Enter your information into the online form
- 3. Click “Calculate profit”
The profit margin calculator is a free tool Shopify offers to businesses. That means there is no cost to use it.